Walk San Francisco seeks an enthusiastic, experienced Membership and Volunteer Manager to help take a small, dynamic organization to the next level. This is a great opportunity to have a real impact on the place you work, and the city you live in.
ABOUT WALK SAN FRANCISCO: Walk San Francisco and its members are making it more safe — and more fun! — to walk in the city. We work with city agencies, elected officials, residents, and businesses to improve streets and public spaces for everyone to enjoy. This year, Walk SF made San Francisco the biggest city in California to create 15-mile-per-hour school zones citywide, calming traffic around over 180 schools. Find out more at walksf.org.
Walk San Francisco currently has a one-person staff with an active, engaged board and dedicated interns and volunteers. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and will have the potential for growth along with the organization.
Membership and Development
- Build and grow Walk San Francisco’s member and donor program to strengthen the organization’s long-term sustainability.
- Manage communication with members and supporters; create and implement schedule of in-person recruitment, mailings, email updates, social media, and individual communications.
- Coordinate and plan member events, including the annual Peak2Peak 12-mile walk in September, December member party, and frequent smaller events, together with board members, volunteers, and event coordinator.
- Manage annual Walk to School Day event in October, working with San Francisco schools, the Department of Public Health, media, and elected officials.
- Help coordinate other program-related events including coalition meetings and speaking events.
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers and interns for outreach, events, membership, and other program support.
- Help to establish systems for volunteers to expand the organization’s capacity.
- At least three years’ nonprofit fundraising experience, including managing contacts with a database system
- Excellent communication skills: great writing, ease in talking and connecting with people, and email/html and social media skills a plus!
- Experience planning and executing events
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers and interns
- Proven ability to set up organized systems and run programs efficiently
- A “can-do” attitude; enthusiastic, resourceful approach with a sense of humor
- A belief in Walk San Francisco’s mission and an interest in learning more
- Enthusiasm for transforming a small operation into a powerful voice for better streets and a better city
BENEFITS AND SALARY: Walk SF’s office is in a central location that is easy to reach (of course) by public transportation. The workplace is collegial and collaborative, with plenty of independence and flexibility. Salary is commensurate with experience, with a health care reimbursement. Position is full-time for one year; our goal is to renew the position, contingent upon performance and funding. We see plenty of potential to grow the organization and the position as well, and hope you do too.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and résumé as attachments (preferably as one PDF file) to email@example.com. Use the subject line: Membership Search.
Application deadline: Wednesday July 18 2012, 5pm