The Coalition for Smarter Growth, an advocate of livable, walkable communities and the world class transit needed to support them since 1997, is the leading organization addressing where and how the Washington D.C. region grows. The Coalition was founded as and remains the central coordinating agent and voice of smart growth in metropolitan Washington. Our goals include: focusing investment in towns and around transit stations; increasing transportation and housing choices; and ensuring vibrant neighborhood open space, agricultural lands and natural areas.
We seek outstanding individuals to join our communications team for the 2012 fall semester. These positions are an ideal way to use your talents to make a meaningful, substantial contribution while learning about the nonprofit sector and “real world” smart growth advocacy and implementation. Our interns will work directly with the Coalition’s Communications Manager to write and edit advocacy materials, manage the Coalition’s online presence, and work with the organization’s Walking Tours & Forums Series. Typically, members of our Communications team take on the following tasks:
- Writing and editing copy for the Coalition’s online platforms – including website, blog, advocacy emails, social media, press advisories and more – under messaging guidance from CSG staff.
- Implementing online campaigns using social media and the Salsa supporter management system.
- Regularly analyzing the performance of various communications efforts using metrics such as click through and conversion rates, reach and engaged users.
- Tracking the Coalition’s media presence by gathering, clipping and logging CSG press clips.
- Choosing a relevant local policy topic and writing a series of blog posts on the subject under the guidance of CSG staff.
- Maintaining and updating the Coalition’s network of websites, using WordPress and Joomla.
- Organizing and implementing events as part of the Coalition’s Walking Tours & Forums series, which reaches hundreds of smart growth supporters every season.
Qualifications: Fellows must be graduate students or professionals with experience in communications, PR, marketing, policy, or similar relevant fields and an interest in smart growth topics. Interns are typically undergraduate students (sophomore or above) with interest and education in these areas, and with previous office environment experience.
All applicants must possess exceptional writing skills, an engaging and enthusiastic demeanor, and a passion for smart growth. Experience with Adobe CS and web management a strong plus.
Commitment: Part time or full time. We ask for a commitment of at least ten weeks, but prefer candidates who can make a full-semester (Late August – December) commitment. Exceptional fellows and interns may be invited to extend their position.
Compensation: Our fellowships and internships are unpaid positions; however, we may be able to provide a small stipend to cover commuting costs.
To Apply: Send your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample of 1 page or less that blows our socks to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, August 10. No phone calls, please.
Are policy or grantwriting more your style? Keep your eyes open in the coming weeks for more fall fellowship and internship opportunities at www.smartergrowth.net, on Twitter at @betterDCregion, and on Facebook.