Associate Project Manager/Senior Associate
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates (N\N) seeks a highly organized, independent, forward-thinking professional for its newly formed Washington, DC office. The selected individual will play a key role in the firm’s growing multi-modal practice. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to become involved in the continued growth and service of one of the nation’s most innovative transportation planning firms.
Nelson\Nygaard has a long history of sustainable planning for livable, and successful, communities. N\N’s work emphasizes quality, creative transit/transportation planning that addresses wider community goals such as economic growth, social equity, strong communities, environmental and energy conservation, and quality places. Nelson\Nygaard was established with an emphasis on transit service planning and system design, but has since become a national leader in multi-modal transportation planning and engineering.
The successful candidate will work as part of a small professional team focusing on transit and multimodal transportation planning, policy development and/or design. The position requires quality work and individual initiative. Candidates must bring demonstrated technical experience in the transportation, design, or policy fields as well as excellent visual, written and oral communication skills. The individual will have the opportunity to assume key roles in project management, marketing and business development.
Specific expectations of the position include the ability to:
• Function as a project manager for small projects and lead planner for complex components of large projects.
• Organize, conduct and supervise data collection activities in the office and in the field
• Analyze public transit, parking, and multi-modal travel data including models, surveys, and operational plans
• Prepare quality technical reports and recommendations
• Frame and conduct independent research
• Track and work within budgets and assist senior managers with project delivery
• Formulate strategies for and assist with community outreach activities
Though most of the work will come from projects on the East Coast, there will be numerous opportunities for the candidate to contribute to NN projects across the United States and internationally. Candidates must be willing to travel (on average 2-4 overnight stays per month plus numerous day trips) and must have a valid Driver’s License.
The ideal candidate should have at least five years of increasingly responsible experience in a broad cross-section of transportation, urban planning, or engineering. Private sector consulting experience is highly desired but is not a requirement. Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. A Master’s Degree in planning or engineering is preferred, however candidates holding a Bachelor’s degree with at least two additional years of direct work experience may be considered.
Potential candidates must have demonstrated problem solving skills and be able to perform detailed technical analysis and feasibility studies with proven expertise in at least two of the following areas:
• Transportation master planning
• Transit/shuttle planning and operations
• Transit facility planning
• Bike/pedestrian planning
• Site planning in urban environments
• Transit Oriented Development
• Transportation Demand Management
• Parking Management
• Multi-modal circulation studies
• Corridor planning and design
• Policy research and development
• State or regional planning
• Transportation performance management (including return on investment) and evaluation
Salary and Benefits
All employees are paid an hourly rate. The annual salary range equivalent for this position is $70,000 to $85,000, depending on qualifications. Benefits include fully paid health and dental insurance, a 401K/profit-sharing program and Paid Time Off (PTO).
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 18, 2013, with the subject line DC Associate Project Manager/Senior Associate.