The Young Professionals in Transportation – Houston chapter is open and welcome to transportation engineers, urban planners, transportation energy/infrastructure professionals, and port/maritime professionals in the Greater Houston area. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with us or find out more information!
Our chapter leadership board meetings are open to anyone who would like to join. They are held every fourth Friday of the month from 9:00-9:30am at the Texas A&M Transportation Institute’s Houston Office located at 701 North Post Oak Road, Suite 430, Houston, TX 77024. Alternatively, a call-in number is provided for those who can’t attend in person. To call in, dial +1 (510) 443-0602 and enter access code: 805-092-551
For real-time updates about YPT Houston, follow on Twitter: @ypthouston, or like the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ypthouston
2013 Chapter Mission and Goals
Our mission is to provide career guidance, fellowship, and networking opportunities for young professionals in the transportation field through seminars, meetings, and happy hours in the Greater Houston area. While we have made momentous progress as a chapter, we still have significant work left to do. Our primary goals for the 2013 calendar year include:
1. Attract 200 total members by the end of the year, with 25 paid members. Given current trends, we believe this is an achievable goal to attain by the end of the year.
2. Host one professional networking event in the Greater Houston area per month. We have established an event calendar for the 2013-14 and are now working to secure relevant speakers and venues. Planned events include a speaker series called “TransTalk” where a different transportation sector professional will speak to the chapter about a particular topic of interest, and “Career Connections,” a networking lunch. We hope to continue to grow and tailor our events specific to the needs of the Greater Houston region.
3. Continue to maintain and grow our network of contacts with other chapters around the nation. We decided to embark on the YPT journey not only to get to know other transportation professionals in the Greater Houston area but also to form connections around the country. This aim will only help to expand the reach of professionals for the Greater Houston area. Therefore, we will continue to strive to grow our network of young professionals both near and far.
4. Engage at least one university for professional and personal development in transportation for partnership. As young professionals, we know how tough it is to land the first job and navigate the unknown territory of the professional world. As such, we believe we can serve as an excellent resource for other young professionals just entering the workforce. We plan to help young transposition professionals take the next step into pursuing a career in transportation in the Greater Houston area by offering mentoring opportunities. To this aim, Texas A&M University has been selected as the first university to partner with YPT.
5. Maintain at least a weekly presence on social media and effectively communicate our upcoming events. To achieve this goal, we plan to maintain at least a weekly updated presence on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites as necessary. We will use social media to advertise our own events, other transportation related events in the Greater Houston area, and for general marketing purposes.
6. Average at least 15 professionals attend our monthly events. Our events are where the networking, fellowship, and career guidance really happens. Therefore, ensuring a strong attendance at each event is critically important to fulfilling our mission to foster the development and growth of transportation professionals. Therefore, we set to have a goal of having 15 professionals on average regularly attend our events by the end of 2013.