The Alliance for Biking & Walking is seeking a full-time Outreach Coordinator to work from our DC office as part of the Advocacy Advance program. Advocacy Advance is a dynamic partnership of the Alliance for Biking & Walking and the League of American Bicyclists to boost local and state bicycle and pedestrian advocacy efforts. Advocacy Advance provides targeted trainings, reports, grants and technical assistance to equip advocates with the specific tools they need to increase biking and walking investments in their communities. To find out more, please visit www.AdvocacyAdvance.org.
The Advocacy Advance Outreach Coordinator will work directly with advocacy organizations and agency staff to increase the awareness of funding programs for walking and biking projects and programs and share best practices in securing and utilizing this funding at the state and local level nationwide. The work of the Outreach Coordinator will have a particular emphasis on communicating the health benefits of walking and biking and related funding opportunities. Work includes social media communications, health research and outreach, sharing best practices of advocacy organizations, field travel and database management.
Outreach Coordinator Responsibilities
Health Research and Outreach:
- Research and communicate about the health benefits of active transportation and health-related funding, policies and advocacy
- Conduct outreach to member organizations on applicable issues to support their advocacy campaigns and organizational development, particularly related to the health impacts of transportation policy and funding
- Create resources for transportation advocates, agencies and the health community explaining the connection between transportation planning, funding and safe, accessible infrastructure
- Work with local, state and national partners to provoke a national conversation about the health benefits of walking
- Turn technical research and policy reports into easy-to-understand resources for general audiences, including the health community
- Maintain the Advocacy Advance website and promote resources through social media, including blogs and photos
Advocacy and Organizational Support:
- Gather and share examples of how advocates and agency staff have successful won and used public funding for pedestrian and bicycle projects and programs
- Review grant reports and member activities and share best practices among advocacy members
- Facilitate / present at workshops, conferences and webinars
- Perform other administrative duties as needed
For more information on qualification requirements, salary, and instructions for applying, please visit the position website. The final deadline for applications is 12 Noon EDT, Thursday, August 29th 2013.