The program for the second Fairfax Bike Summit, to be held on Saturday, Nov. 2 at George Mason University, is nearly finalized. Congressman Gerry Connolly and other dignitaries will welcome participants at 10 a.m.. The keynote speaker is Jeff Olson, author of the The Third Mode: Towards a Green Society, about the importance of walking and bicycling not only as a transportation mode but as an indicator of the quality of life of our communities.
While the focus of the summit is on transforming Tysons into a bike-friendly community, we’ll be discussing many other topics during the panel discussions and breakout sessions. A list of the sessions includes:
- Importance of bicycling to the future of Tysons and other transit-oriented communities
- Bicycle and transit integration
- Access and encouragement for all
- Safe Routes to School and getting more kids on bikes
- Bikes and business
- Safety, law enforcement, and evaluation
- Where to next for Fairfax biking?