To Apply Online, see: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/arlington/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=744735
Interested in working in one of the most innovative multi-modal communities in the Country? Arlington County is seeking an experienced professional to lead and direct the County’s parking program. The position will provide planning, coordination and program management of on-street and off-street parking, as well as assure that the County uses the latest in parking technology for on-street payments, parking way-finding, and measuring on-street occupancy. The position will also represent the County on program matters with the media and before the County Board, developers, the business community and residents.
The County has over 5,200 metered on-street parking spaces, one publicly owned retail garage and over 50 other off-street parking facilities, most of which are managed by other departments. Ability to coordinate activities with other County departments, including the Police Department which provides parking enforcement and the Dept of Community Planning, Housing and Development which is responsible for building parking requirements, is essential.
Duties of the position include:
- Planning and implementing the policies and implementation actions of the Parking Element of the County’s Master Transportation Plan;
- Designing research efforts, conducting field and office research and analyzing information to support County efforts and positions;
- Defining neighborhood priorities through meetings with specific communities or civic groups;
- Prioritizing County-wide parking management improvements;
- Negotiating project costs, design, and schedules;
- Revising current parking strategies and policies to ensure that they are consistent with the upgrading, modification and relation of land-uses which have occurred over the last twenty years;
- Reviewing developers’ garage plans and parking management plans;
- Providing suggestions and recommendations to staff, private organizations, developers, and the public on new site plans or modifications of existing site plans;
- Coordinating supply and demand parking studies to determine if the on-street and off-street supply is working efficiently;
- Developing and preparing reports including ordinances, policies and documents;
- Managing parking related capital projects;
- Providing parking expertise, especially related to new parking technologies and progressive pricing strategies, to other County staff, residents, local businesses, developers and County officials;
- Presentation of parking data and material in a clear and easy to understand format for public distribution and presentations;
- Coordinating Public Outreach efforts to solicit community input on parking initiatives;
- Supervising the County’s Parking Planner and Permit Parking Administrator.
The ideal candidate will have worked for or with local government, be a creative problem solver, have excellent communication and presentation skills, and have strong experience in land use planning, communications, research analysis and on-street and off-street parking.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, Civil Engineering, Transportation, Economics, Business Management or related field, plus 3 years of professionally progressive, full-time experience creating parking policies, planning/directing/coordinating required research and analyses to implement a comprehensive parking program, and managing capital projects.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
a) Additional work experience beyond the minimum 3 year requirement;
b) Experience conducting parking studies to determine parking ratios;
c) Experience preparing reports, analyses, and recommendations for a County Manager and for board action;
d) Managing parking management research efforts;
e) Significant experience with on-street parking and off-street parking management;
f) Experience in a local government environment;
g) Experience with site plan review;
h) AICP or CAPP certification;
i) Experience with giving Presentations to elected officials, business leaders and civic associations;
j) Experience with Computer Parking Management System Software;
k) Experience with Microsoft Office Suite Software;
l) Experience working closely in a team environment.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give “see resume” as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicant must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid motor vehicle operator’s license from the applicant’s state of residence at the time of appointment . The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant’s official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant’s driving record.