The Coalition for Smarter Growth seeks an Outreach and Development Associate to join our dynamic and talented team.
The Coalition for Smarter Growth is the leading organization in the Washington DC region dedicated to making the case for smart growth. Our mission is to promote walkable, inclusive, and transit-oriented communities, and the land use and transportation policies needed to make those communities flourish.
We’re looking for an energetic, positive, creative team member who is organized, detail-oriented, and possesses outstanding interpersonal skills. We offer a fun and flexible office environment, conveniently located near Union Station. As a small organization (there are five other full-time staff members), this position fills a critical need in our office. It’s also a great opportunity for the right candidate to not only help build and win victories for our smart growth movement, but develop a varied portfolio that can significantly enhance your professional development.
Our ideal candidate is a multitasking individual who can switch easily between playing a key support role on our fundraising team, coordinating our annual educational series of events, leading targeted outreach campaigns (in coordination with our policy team), and managing office operations. An intuitive feel for tech troubleshooting, successful grant writing experience, a campaign fundraising or organizing background, or a demonstrated passion for smart growth policy are all things that can move a candidate up the priority list.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Outreach: Manage donor relationship process, execute direct mailings, research donors and foundations, draft correspondence and other documents, and take the lead in event planning and logistics.
- Data: Process donations, maintain donor database and run queries and reports (using the Salsa CRM).
Educational Outreach and Advocacy
- Coordinate Walking Tours & Forum program: Play the lead coordinating role for planning our annual series of walking tours of transforming neighborhoods and educational forums on smart growth topics. Work with our policy team to determine appropriate guest speakers, plan itinerary, and work with our communications team to plan and execute promotional publicity.
- Coordinate Events: Plan and manage CSG outreach events including social hours that cultivate our supporters, donors, volunteers and partners.
- Coordinate targeted advocacy campaigns: In conjunction with policy team, coordinate DC and Arlington advocacy projects on issues like transit investment, land use policy, and affordable housing.
- Press Outreach: Play a support role to our communications team’s outreach efforts on earned media throughout the D.C. region, supervising regular updates to our media database, sending out press releases, and making prepared press calls.
Running Office Operations
- General Administration: Accounting tasks including tracking and reconciling bills and invoices, troubleshooting office equipment including the copier, answering the phone, updating our databases, ordering office supplies
- Staff Support: Meeting coordination and scheduling, proofreading, maintaining our office calendar, sending and forwarding emails, and other tasks as needed.
The Other Stuff
- As a small organization, there are times we all pitch in on problem solving, major events, and special projects. Everyone wears a lot of hats here, so we want any new team member to be ready to do the same!
- Positive, self-starter attitude
- At least 1-2 years professional experience (this can include impressive intern/fellowship credentials)
- Proactive, “yes I can” approach to spotting and solving problems, while keeping an eye out for opportunities to improve our office systems
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Flexibility to adjust to a busy, dynamic office
- Ability to prioritize and balance many tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to our mission outlined at www.smartergrowth.net
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a good sense of humor
- Ability to make at least a one year commitment (ideally a two year commitment)
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at the Coalition for Smarter Growth. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in smart growth and what strengths you would bring to the job to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the job title “Outreach and Development Associate” in the subject line. Starting salary will be in the 30s, with the exact level dependent on experience, and opportunities for advancement available. We’ll begin holding interviews in early December, but applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls or letters please.