Interested in working in one of the most innovative and dynamic multimodal regions in the country? The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission seeks an experienced professional to join our small team based in Arlington in promoting an innovative regional transit network through project management and development of new funding sources for regional and local initiatives. This challenging position provides a tremendous opportunity to help build Northern Virginia’s economy by expanding transportation choices, reducing traffic congestion, and improving air quality and energy efficiency.
The position combines planning, coordination and project management of contracts and state and federal grants for six jurisdictions and the region as a whole. Existing projects include bus rapid transit (BRT), Metrorail station improvements, light rail and other multi-modal facilities. The position will develop funding strategies for ongoing and new initiatives as well as preparing all phases of funding applications. The position also represents NVTC on program matters with the public, the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, other regional organizations such as the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and stakeholders including businesses, academic and research institutions, and residents.
The ideal candidate will have worked for or with local or state government, have expertise in transportation or economic development, be a creative problem solver, have excellent communication and presentation skills, and have experience in transit or related fields, communications, research & analysis, regional transportation planning, and federal contracts and grants management.
This position requires a college degree and at least five years of relevant experience supported with strong references. Excellent written and oral communication and skills in spreadsheets and graphics are mandatory.
• Represent NVTC on regional studies & with other regional organizations including the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority
• Manage Projects. The following is a list of current projects:
o Route 7 Multi-Modal Study
o Vanpool Alliance Program
o Next Electronic Payment Program
o National Transit Database (NTD)
• Develop partnerships on collaborative research and technology efforts
• Manage and/or provide oversight for approved NVTC contracts
• Identify new projects and develop applications for state/federal funding
• Draft requests for proposals and invitations for bids for new NVTC projects, direct selection and procurement, and manage contractor performance and payments
• Work with the Executive Director and board members on special projects
• Manage NVTC’s Transportation Improvement Program/State Transportation Improvement Program/Constrained Long Range Plan (TIP/STIP/CLRP) submission and tracking process
• Provide oversight and support of member jurisdictions to comply with federal and state grant and contract requirements including sub-recipient monitoring of federal grants, compliance with federal certifications and assurances, and maintaining RFP proformas in compliance with Federal and state regulations.
• Serve as DBE compliance officer.
• Prepare informative materials for commissioners, local staff, and regional partners on new and existing NVTC projects including memoranda, web content, and e-newsletter text
• Participate in ongoing strategic planning efforts and organize outreach efforts on behalf of NVTC and regional projects
• Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, Transportation, Economics, Business Management, Civil Engineering, or related field, plus 5 years of professionally progressive, experience with project management in transit, planning, or a related field. Demonstrated interest in transit or rail project development, policy, or finance.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Skills in graphics and spreadsheets.
• Advanced degree in economics, public sector management/administration, public policy, planning, technology policy and law or related field;
• Additional work experience beyond the minimum 5 year requirement;
• Experience with FTA grant and contract requirements highly desirable
• Experience in preparing reports, analyses, and recommendations for board action and comments to legislative and regulatory agencies;
• Experience with local or state government environment;
• Experience with giving presentations to elected officials, business leaders and community groups;
• Experience in designing and /or conducting community outreach efforts; and
• Experience working closely in a small team environment.
How to Apply
The job will remain open until filled. NVTC is an equal opportunity employer. Please provide a complete resume including your salary history and requirements, as well as a letter describing your qualifications and interest in this specific position, and a 2 page writing sample to:
2300 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201
NVTC has a small staff located in offices in the vibrant Court House area of Arlington. NVTC is a leading expert on performance metrics and transit finance, coordinates regional planning studies and evaluations, partners with other regional entities including the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission and the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments. NVTC encompasses six cities and counties, Virginia Railway Express (a commuter rail service), six bus systems including MetroBus, Metrorail and the Vanpool Alliance.
SALARY and BENEFITS
Outstanding benefits are provided (life, health, dental, disability insurance; pension; pre-tax child care and medical cafeteria plan; free parking or parking cash-out; tax-free transit benefit). The competitive salary depends on experience and qualifications.
Work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Additionally, work hours may vary based on business needs and may include evening and occasional weekend hours as necessary.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.