Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates seeks a highly organized, experienced, independent and motivated Senior Associate for its Boston office. Nelson\Nygaard is focused on multimodal transportation planning for livable communities. Our work emphasizes creative, innovative transportation planning, and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development and reduced dependence on the private automobile.
Nelson\Nygaard offers a dynamic and self-directed work environment that is fast-paced, congenial, and supportive. This will be your opportunity to work with one of the most dynamic and innovative groups of planners and engineers in the U.S., including highly talented junior and support staff. Our office culture is built upon diversity and creativity.
The ideal candidate should have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience. A candidate should be able to demonstrate significant expertise in at least three of the following areas:
- Citywide Transportation Planning and Analysis
- Campus Transportation Planning
- Parking Planning
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Facility Planning
- Transit Station Area Planning
- Street Design Guidelines
- Data Collection and Performance Assessments
- Light Rail, Commuter Rail, and/or Streetcar Planning
- Transportation Demand Management
- Transport Policy, Funding, and Governance
- Paratransit and Demand-Responsive Services
- Advanced Graphic Communication (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Computer Traffic Modeling
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Function as a project manager for small studies and as a lead planner for complex components of large projects
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal skills
- Possess proven experience in managing projects within budget
- Work successfully with clients, members of the public, and project teams
- Outline and prepare successful proposals and reports
- Analyze a wide range of transportation data and complete (directly or manage the completion of) technical analysis, feasibility studies, or other transportation reports
- Prepare and give effective presentations
- Creatively solve multimodal transportation problems
- Participate in firm-wide strategic planning activities to ensure that we continue to build on our mission and core values
- Mentor and train junior staff to become as good, or even better, at their job as you
- Organize and supervise data collection activities in the office and the field
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience. At a minimum, the candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- At least six years of responsible experience in transportation planning, traffic engineering, or one of the disciplines listed above.
- A bachelor’s or more advanced degree in urban or transportation planning, or a related planning field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Skills and enthusiasm for business development.
- Excellent written, verbal, and other communication skills, including facilitating public workshops.
- The ability to manage complex projects on time and on budget.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint.
- Additional experience with GIS, Graphic (InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUp), Modeling (Synchro, VISSIM, TransCAD) or database anlaysis will be considered favorably.
Though most of the work will come from projects from the Boston office, there will be numerous opportunities for the candidate to contribute to projects across the United States. Candidates must be willing to travel and must have a valid Driver’s License. Preference will be given to candidates with AICP or P.E. certification.
Potential candidates may be asked to demonstrate their writing and oral presentation skills. Above all, we are looking for someone who has a passion for sustainable transportation planning and is interested in making communities better for our clients and their constituents.
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary range equivalent for this position is industry competitive, depending on qualifications and years of experience. Great benefits included.
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity affirmative action employer.
Prior to sending your materials, please combine your cover letter, resume, and work samples into a single PDF with the filename format “Firstname Lastname – Boston Senior Associate.pdf”. Send the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Boston Senior Associate”