REGIONAL TRANSIT PLANNER
The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission seeks an experienced professional to join our small team based in Arlington in promoting an innovative regional transit network through regional planning and coordination with local and regional transportation and planning agencies. This new position provides a tremendous opportunity to connect the region’s transit and transportation networks by maximizing the current system and strengthening the network of systems in the future.
The position combines regional planning and coordination to ensure that we find cost effective ways to expand high quality, high capacity transit in Northern Virginia. The position also represents NVTC on program matters with the public, the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, other regional organizations such as the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and businesses, academic and research institutions, and residents.
The ideal candidate will have worked for or with local or state government, have expertise in transportation or economic development, be a creative problem solver, have excellent communication and presentation skills, and have experience in transit, communications, research & analysis, and regional transportation planning.
This position requires a college degree and at least seven years of relevant experience supported with strong references. Excellent written and oral communication and skills in spreadsheets and graphics are mandatory.
• Represent NVTC on regional studies and with other regional organizations including the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority
• Identifying opportunities and gaps in current planning efforts
• Coordinate and collaborate with cross disciplinary teams from local jurisdictions and regional transportation agencies to develop appropriate regional responses including plans, investment strategies and funding plans, and planning criteria to address gaps in current planning activities
• Prepare informative materials for commissioners, local staff, and regional partners on new and existing NVTC projects including memoranda, web content, and e-newsletter text
• Participate in ongoing strategic planning efforts and organize outreach efforts on behalf of NVTC and regional projects
• Prepare and make presentations in a variety of forums
• Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, Transportation, Economics, Business Management, Civil Engineering, or related field, plus 7 to 10 years of professionally progressive experience in transportation planning, policy, or finance
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Skills in graphics and spreadsheets
• Advanced degree in economics, public sector management/administration, public policy, planning, technology policy and law or related field
• Additional work experience beyond the minimum 7 year requirement
• Experience in preparing reports, analyses, and recommendations for board action and comments to legislative and regulatory agencies
• Experience with local or state government
• Experience with giving presentations to elected officials, business leaders and community groups
• Experience in facilitating multi agency teams
• Experience in designing and /or conducting community outreach efforts
• Working knowledge of applicable state and/or federal law and regulation
• Experience working closely in a small team environment
How to Apply
The position will remain open until filled. NVTC is an equal opportunity employer. Please provide a complete resume including your salary history and requirements, as well as a letter describing your qualifications and interest in this specific position, and a 2-3 page writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can also be mailed to:
Regional Transit Planner Position
2300 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 620
Arlington, VA 22201
NVTC has a small staff located in offices in the vibrant Court House area of Arlington. NVTC is a leading expert on performance metrics and transit finance and funding, coordinates regional planning studies and evaluations, partners with other regional entities including the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission and the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments. NVTC encompasses six cities and counties, Virginia Railway Express (a commuter rail service), six bus systems including MetroBus, Metrorail and the Vanpool Alliance.
SALARY and BENEFITS
Outstanding benefits are provided (life, health, dental, disability insurance; pension; pre-tax child care and medical cafeteria plan; free parking or parking cash-out; tax-free transit benefit). The competitive salary depends on experience and qualifications.
Work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Additionally, work hours may vary based on business needs and will include evening and occasional weekend hours.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Beginning June 27, interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.