City of Somerville
Office of Strategic Planning & Community Development
The Transportation Planner manages consultants working for the city and supervises planning, design, redevelopment, ensuring that private development and investment aid in achieving the city’s transportation goals to become the most walkable, bikeable, transit accessible City in the nation. Through analysis of data and identification of city and community goals, the planner aids the city and various communities within Somerville in identifying strategies to reach these desired objectives to include duties associated with the implementation of neighborhood infrastructure goals as outlined in the City of Somerville’s Five Year and Annual Action plan consistent with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant Program. Employee is required to perform all similar or related duties.
- Conduct community planning efforts associated with increasing access and utilization of “active” transportation.
- Act as staff liaison to the Somerville Bicycle Committee.
- Manage the City’s contract with Alta/Hubway.
- Collaborate on presentations for various federal, state and local agencies.
- Assist with projects funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant Program.
- Perform analyses to support various city policies.
- Assist with development review.
- Bachelor’s Degree in planning, public, administration or a related field (Master’s Degree preferred) and three (3) years’ experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Bachelor’s Degree in planning, public, administration or a related field (Master’s Degree preferred) and three (3) years’ experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge about urban planning policy and design sensibilities; some knowledge of civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), complete streets design and graphic presentation as applied to planning; extensive knowledge of the environmental aspects of planning; some knowledge of economic and sociological aspects of planning; knowledge and experience with relation to design, construction and inspection problems commonly met in connection with municipal engineering activities; working knowledge of personal computers, GIS applications and familiarity with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant Program.
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with state and federal agencies, architects, contractors, developers, owners, supervisors, employees, and the general public.
Skill in public speaking, facilitating and public presentations is required. Excellent customer service skills.
Salary: $50,000-$51,511 per year; paid weekly at $961.54-$990.60; plus benefits.
Send resume along with a cover letter by August 10, 2014, to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
THE CITY OF SOMERVILLE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF SOMERVILLE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.