Transport Research Intern
The Institute for Transportation & Development Policy (ITDP) is a not-for-profit organization based in New York City with offices in Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Guangzhou, Chennai, Jakarta, Buenos Aires, and Washington, DC. ITDP works to promote environmentally sustainable and socially equitable transportation policies and projects around the world, with an emphasis on developing countries. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit (BRT), cycling, walking, travel demand management, parking, and transit oriented development. More information about ITDP can be found at http://www.itdp.org.
ITDP is seeking a Transport Research Intern to work in our Washington, D.C. office within the Policy group on projects related to the BRT Standard and the link between transportation infrastructure and services, climate change, and poverty alleviation. The intern will report to the Transport Research and Evaluation Manager and will work with staff across all offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Compile data on existing bus rapid transit, light rail, and metro systems across the globe
- Analyze the link between the quality and quantity of rapid transit and income levels, inequality, and automobile travel
- Compile and assess project financing details at both the project level and the national level
- Research the link between the Transit Oriented Development (TOD) and motorized vehicle travel
- Evaluate existing developments using The TOD Standard
- Gather data on vehicle travel from national and local travel surveys
- Gather data on median income, population density and other factors that might influence vehicular travel
- Research and evaluate the design quality of BRT systems around the world using The BRT Standard:
- Use internet research tools to gather basic information about systems
- Work with ITDP field offices to verify and expand information
- Assist with data collection & analysis of bike share systems, expanding research from the Bike Share Planning Guide
- Create reports, memoranda, graphs, infographics, and presentations summarizing research findings
- Minor administrative duties, including managing office cleaning, managing printers, and restocking office supplies
- Other duties as assigned
- Current undergraduate or graduate student or recent university graduate with strong interest in sustainable transportation
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Strong and fast-paced internet research skills
- Must be organized and detail-oriented
- Proficiency in MS Word and PowerPoint
- High proficiency in Excel
- Statistical analysis (SPSS) experience a plus
- Database experience a plus
- Must be able to work 20-32 hours per week and commit to six months.
- Preference will be given to candidates who can commit to a longer contract period.
- Work location is at our downtown DC office, near Dupont Circle
- Hours must include a significant amount of time between 9am and 6pm for project discussion and effective communication.
Stipend available for the right candidate.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with Transport Research Intern in the subject line. Deadline: Friday, September 19,