The Transportation Research Board (TRB) and the TRB Young Members Council (YMC) are promoting increased involvement and engagement of young professionals and students in TRB activities. To this end, the Freight & Marine Group of the YMC is facilitating a TRB Freight & Marine MENTORING PROGRAM that matches young (under 35) professionals and students with seasoned professionals and long-time TRB Annual Meeting attendees.
If you would like to participate in the program as a mentor or mentee, please CLICK HERE to complete a short (less than 5 minutes) survey before Friday, November 7, 2014, 5pm EST. Participants will be sent details about the mentor/mentee they are matched with by Friday, November 14, 2014. Attendance at the TRB Annual Meeting (Jan. 11-15, 2015) is encouraged but not required to participate in this program.
The types of mentoring possible are varied, and may include:
– Career (what jobs/opportunities are related to your technical area of interest?)
– New Committee (guidance on committee activities, procedures, etc.)
– TRB (how to navigate the annual meeting, how to stay involved through mid-year activities, etc.)
– Washington, DC (what are sights to see around town, how to get around, etc.)
– A shared meal or reception visit together during the annual meeting
– Answering questions via phone or email before or during the annual meeting
– Help with planning/scheduling for TRB week (what sessions/meetings/events to attend)
– Providing introductions to/facilitating networking with other professionals working in your field
– Shadowing of mentor during the annual meeting including attendance at sessions and committee meetings
– A long-term mentorship that extends beyond the annual meeting. Opportunities include mid-year committee meetings and in-person meetings if mentors/mentees live near each other.
– Providing guidance with papers, posters, and presentations for TRB events.