As a major agency of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is dedicated to ensuring that America’s transportation system is the best in the world through its roles as Leaders for National Mobility, Stewards for National Highway Programs, and as Innovators for a Better Future.
The Office of Transportation Policy Studies conducts research to foster innovative transportation policy and legislative initiatives, and facilitates the implementation of these polices and initiatives through strategic planning.
You must be a U.S. citizen.
Submit application and resume online by 1/15/15 11:59 PM EST
Provide all required documents by closing date
The Director, Office of Transportation Policy Studies provides national leadership and direction of a program of economic and analytical studies which provides critical information to national transportation decision makers on current and emerging transportation issues and needs, and the implications of national financial and economic policies on highway infrastructure investment.
As Director, the incumbent:
• Provides leadership and strategic direction to a professional staff of policy experts in conducting and managing research projects to foster innovative highway policy and legislative initiatives
• Leads policy development and execution, including analysis of major policy issues impacting highway transportation for the future. Directs the development, monitoring, and evaluation of national highway transportation policy studies and pilot programs.
• Provides leadership on joint collaborative transportation studies with other FHWA offices, other DOT modal administrations, and the Office of the Secretary of Transportation.
• Provides executive oversight and guidance to staff in developing reports to Congress including the Conditions and Performance of the Nation’s highways and bridges.
• Provides agency wide leadership in developing and managing FHWA’s strategic plan and performance metrics.
This is a General position in the Senior Executive Service.
As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability; and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Technical Qualifications (TQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) listed below.
Below are descriptions of the technical qualifications that will be presented to you within the online application. You must clearly demonstrate in your responses how your experience supports each of the TQs.
1. Ability to provide national leadership in assessing emerging issues of critical importance to the surface transportation community.
2. Ability to provide leadership and direction to Federal, State, and local officials on alternative funding sources, the use of Federal resources and their impacts on outcomes.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): Below are descriptions of the ECQs.
Please Note: Current career SES members, former career SES members with reinstatement eligibility, and SES Candidate Development graduates who have been certified by OPM do NOT need to address the ECQs.
ECQ 1 – LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision
ECQ 2 – LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building
ECQ 3 – RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 – BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management
ECQ 5 – BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating
The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation. Additional information about the SES and Executive Core Qualifications can be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) SES Website. You are strongly encouraged to review OPMs Guide to SES Qualifications for specific examples and guidance on writing effective ECQ narrative statements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Complete a Public Financial Disclosure report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annually.
- Complete a one-year SES probationary period (unless already completed).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
An SES reviewing panel will evaluate your application based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview and a reference check.
If selected, you must be certified by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) before you can be appointed to the position, unless you are a current career SES member, former career SES member with reinstatement eligibility, or SES Candidate Development graduate and have already been certified by OPM.
To preview questions please click here.
You can review our benefits at: https://jobs.mgsapps.monster.com/dot/vacancy/preview!benefits.hms?orgId=2&jnum=70949
Veterans’ preference does not apply to the Senior Executive Service.
HOW TO APPLY:
You must submit a complete online application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement posting.
Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
If you are having difficulty applying online, please contact the DOT Automated Staffing Office during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET) at (202) 366-1298. You may also email us at Transjobs@dot.gov.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: The following documents must be provided by the close date:
- RESUME – showing relevant experience and education. Please do not include pictures in your application package.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE – Responses to the Technical and Executive Core Qualifications are limited to 4,500 characters per question. Do NOT include your answers in the body of your USAJOBS resume, since they will be asked separately.
- SF-50 – Current & former federal employees should submit an SF-50 which shows your current (or most recent grade.) Current Career Senior Executives and individuals with SES reinstatement eligibility must submit a copy of an SF-50 which shows career SES status
- CANDIDATE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM CERTIFICATE – individuals who have successfully completed an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved SES Candidate Development Program, submit a copy of your OPM certificate.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the announcement will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Automated Staffing Office
DOT, FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION
Submit Application and Documents Online
1200 New Jersey Ave SE / HAHR – 50
Washington, DC 20590
Job Posting: www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/388822100