Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates is a mid-sized sustainable transportation planning firm, committed to developing transportation systems that promote vibrant, sustainable, and accessible communities. Their approximately 90 planners focus on conducting projects that promote increased transit riding, bicycling, and walking. Transit planning practice is one of Nelson\Nygaard’s core practice areas, and they are market leaders in transforming the way transit systems operate, making them more efficient, more useful, and attractive to passengers.
Nelson/Nygaard is expanding their transit practice and is seeking one highly organized, independent, forward-thinking Associate IV Public Transit Planner for their Boston office.
The successful candidate for this mid-level position will be expected to be able to help manage and win projects and provide guidance to the office’s junior staff.
Projects may be located anywhere throughout the U.S., and thus a willingness, and desire, to travel is essential. The chosen candidate will work closely with Nelson\Nygaard’s senior and junior staff in their local Boston office, and also with staff in their other offices across the country. Their approach is to bring the most appropriate staff together, irrespective of where they are based, as working together produces better outcomes and improves all of their skills.
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate should have a strong core focus in transit planning but may also have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience. The candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal skills, the ability to manage projects within budget, work successfully with clients, members of the public and your team members, prepare reports and successful proposals, perform technical analysis, feasibility studies, make presentations, and solve problems.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate expertise in the following project types:
- Short and Long Range Transit Planning
- Comprehensive Operational Analyses (COAs)
- Transit/shuttle service design, planning and operations
- Bus Rapid Transit/Rapid Bus
- Light rail, commuter rail, and/or streetcar
- Multimodal/Intermodal facility planning
- Data collection and performance assessment
Candidates must also meet the following two requirements to be considered for this position:
- You must have at least 4 years of increasingly responsible experience in public transit planning.
- You must have at least a bachelor’s degree in city/urban planning, transportation engineering or related planning field, or equivalent experience. A master’s degree in one of these fields is highly preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Nelson\Nygaard offers a flexible, friendly work environment that encourages diversity and creativity. Benefits of the position include:
- A dynamic and self-directed work environment
- Project-based work experience
- Collaboration with leading planners and engineers
- Flexible work hours and arrangements
- Opportunities for travel
- A relaxed, congenial and supportive office culture
The annual salary range equivalent for this position is industry competitive, depending on qualifications and years of experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, car share and bike share membership, pre-tax transit or bicycling benefit, a 401K/profit-sharing program, life insurance, and paid time-off.
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.
Please combine your cover letter and resume into a single PDF with the filename format “Firstname Lastname_Boston Transit Associate.pdf” and send to email@example.com with the subject line “Boston Transit Associate.” No phone calls, please.