The Association of Metropolitan Planning Organizations (AMPO) is seeking a highly motivated self-starter to fill the role of Manager/Director of Technical Programs (based on experience).
The Manager/Director of Technical Programs provides technical, policy, and regulatory support to Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) for any and all issues related to surface transportation planning, including transportation funding, performance based planning and programming, air quality, sustainability, environmental justice, public participation, livability, climate change, transportation safety, management and operations, travel modeling, and MAP-21 implementation and re-authorization.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Utilize transportation planning concepts and research MPO practices to assist with development of transportation policy proposals and positions
- Assist AMPO’s Policy and Technical Committees with development of comments in response to federal rulemakings
- Support AMPO’s Technical Committee
- Develop grant proposals to secure federal and foundation funding for planning-related projects that serve AMPO members’ interests
- Manage current and future grant awards within budget and on schedule
- Manage current AMPO pooled funding research project and develop additional pooled funding initiatives
- Represent AMPO members’ interests on national transportation committees and working groups
- Foster and enhance AMPO’s relationships with key stakeholders, including federal agencies, research institutions, other associations, and non-profit organizations
- Manage AMPO’s standing Work Groups (Air Quality, Performance Based Planning, and Travel Modeling) by arranging peer-exchanges, meetings, webinars, and conference calls
- Assist with preparation of materials for meetings with Congressional staff, agencies within the Administrative Branch, key outside stakeholders, and AMPO members
- Provide support for development of Congressional testimony
- Conduct periodic MPO surveys about various planning practices, needs, and organizational structure.
- Respond to member inquiries regarding planning practices
- Provide support to AMPO’s Program Manager for development of AMPO Annual Conference content
A successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, environmental planning, or a related field
- Strong familiarity with federal surface transportation legislation and regulations
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheets, word processors, and presentation software
- Knowledge and experience in conducting research and analysis
- Ability to quickly respond to requests for information, provide analysis, and interpret and relate key themes and ideas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and member service skills
- Ability to prepare and deliver informative presentations to various audiences
- Strong time management skills and ability to function well independently and as part of a team
Salary Range: $65,000 to $100,000
For additional information, visit www.ampo.org/?mpo-career=managerdirector-of-technical-programs.