The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) Long Range Planning Division is accepting applications for a Community Transportation Planner 1 position in the Long Range Planning Division’s Office of Community Transportation, located in Nashville, Tennessee.
Application for the Community Transportation Planner 1 position requires completion and submission of the following three items:
- Letter explaining applicant interest in the position
- Resume, maximum of two pages
- Written responses to the four application questions listed below
Minimum Qualifications for a Long Range Planning Division Community Transportation Planner/Transportation Coordinator 1 include a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or related field from an accredited college or university and at least two (2) years of planning experience or a Master’s Degree in Planning or related field from an accredited college or university.
The Long Range Planning Division Community Transportation Planner 1 will assist in the Division’s development and implementation of strategies that coordinate the State’s land management and transportation infrastructure needs as well as:
- Assists in the development of guidelines for coordination of land use and transportation decisions between state and local entities.
- Assists in the development of rural regional transportation plans, major thoroughfare plans, corridor management agreements, and statewide access management plans.
- Provides technical assistance to local community partners, Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Rural Planning and Consultation Organizations.
- Participates in regular collaborative opportunities with metropolitan transportation planning organizations, rural transportation consultation organizations, cities, and counties.
- Reviews new and established federal, state, and local plans and policies and makes recommendations for implementation.
This position will require occasional statewide travel.
Please use a separate sheet for each question. When answering the application questions, you should use examples of work related experiences. If you do not have appropriate work related examples, non-work related examples are acceptable.
- Describe two or three major trends in transportation and land use planning.
- Do you see any of these trends in Tennessee? Explain.
- What are some of the biggest challenges coordinating land use and transportation?
- Give an example of a transportation planning idea or improvement that you had and how did it make a difference in the community that you were serving?
- Give a specific example of a situation in which you had to deal with conflict when working with the public.
- Describe in detail how you handled both the person(s) and the situation.
- How did this affect the overall outcome of the situation or issue?
- How did you document and communicate the outcome?
- Provide a few detailed examples of professional and/or self-improvement skills that you developed or enhanced over the past two years.
- Were these skills prerequisites of your current position?
- How have these skills assisted you in the performance of your current job responsibilities?
The three items should be emailed to Ms. Suzie Howard by 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time on Friday, March 27, 2015. Ms. Howard can be contacted at Suzie.Howard@tn.gov or 615-741-3687.
Please contact the following individual with questions about the position openings:
Ms. Tanisha J. Hall
Director, Long Range Planning Division