About the Port Authority
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is a bi-state public agency operating some of the busiest and most important transportation links in the New York / New Jersey region including The Port Authority Trans Hudson Corporation (PATH), the primary transit link between Manhattan and New Jersey communities and suburban commuter railroads.
The Port Authority is seeking a Senior Economic Analyst for the Planning unit in the Planning and Regional Development Department. This position is located in the Department’s main office in New York City.
The Planning and Regional Development Department provides strategic planning advice to executive management, with an emphasis on issues of regional importance that involve multiple departments and other federal, state or local government agencies. The Department produces studies, provides technical analysis (traffic modeling, economic impact, economic forecasting, cost benefit), and is the lead on a select few development projects where its expertise can enhance performance. In particular, the Transportation Planning unit develops and manages surface transportation planning initiatives, including, market and economic analyses, activity forecasting, travel demand forecasting for passengers and freight, mapping and geospatial analysis and network analysis. The unit provides leadership within the agency on travel demand modeling and forecasting methods, developing new analytical tools as necessary, and providing technical assistance to line departments.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Economist, the successful candidate will support the identification of economic and demographic trends and assist in the development of related forecasts. Will conduct an array of quantitative analyses, including benefit-cost analysis, regional economic impact analysis, and financial analysis; undertaking industry studies of transportation sectors that the agency operates in; and developing and maintaining economic models used in regional and business planning, particularly benefit-cost and regional input-output models. Develop appropriate economic methodologies and tools, as well as conduct research and produce reports, on transportation and planning issues.
- Graduate degree in Economics or related field
- Strong quantitative skills, especially in project analysis and economic modeling
- Econometric software and Excel
- Must have a valid driver’s license
The ideal candidate will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated understanding of transportation economics and project development
- Demonstrated ability to conduct benefit-cost analysis within a regional framework
- Demonstrated ability to analyze financial data on projects to be incorporated into cost-benefit models demonstrated ability to conduct economic impact and policy analyses of capital projects and transportation-related industries; excellent written and oral communication skills, including experience in writing economic reports
- Demonstrated experience in handling databases and large data sets for quantitative analyses
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by going to www.jointheportauthority.com and click on the Apply Now button under the Careers tab. Search for job number 21892.