Associate Transportation Engineer in Pasadena’s Complete Streets Division
The ideal candidate possess excellent analytical and technical skills and has the ability to prepare and present high-level written concepts and reports.
Under general supervision, this position performs a variety of professional tasks in Transportation Engineering work related but not limited to complete streets, traffic operations, capital improvement project and construction management, channelization review, special event management and traffic safety. This position will be required to prepare and review transportation impact analyses, and recommend measures that are in line with the City of Pasadena’s adopted transportation performance measures and General Plan. The chosen candidate will use transportation forecasting models and traffic simulation software to perform assignments in preparing transportation impact analyses and update of specific plans and its transportation improvement programs.
This position may direct and participate in the difficult technical traffic engineering designs, prepare and review engineering plans, conduct traffic investigations or traffic engineering studies in response to citizen requests for variety of traffic control devices. Additionally, this position maintains system records, including traffic volume and collision data, reviews traffic signal, signing/striping, and traffic control plans, investigates high collision locations and recommends potential solutions, and responds to citizens’ traffic investigation requests and prepares technical reports and correspondence; coordinates, assigns, and oversees the work of professional and technical staff in engineering activities.
This position makes general engineering calculations in connection with field and office assignments and uses computer technology to solve problems and perform assignments. It also performs general engineering review analysis of traffic engineering designs and checks calculations, prepares specifications for proposals, reviews designs and evaluates proposal, prepares grant applications for traffic engineering projects, prepares request for proposals and evaluates bids and/or proposals, negotiates terms and manages consultant projects, prepares agenda reports for consultant or contract award recommendations; performs routine site inspections, and identifies problems and recommends solutions. The chosen candidate would prepare contract documents and specifications, exercise cost control, prepare and submit reports, participate in the preparation of project budgets, and monitor costs.
- Education and/or Experience Graduation from college with a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with emphasis in transportation engineering or a closely related field
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certificate issued by the California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and
- Two years of recent professional experience
The following list represents some of the core competencies for this position; see the link below for more detailed information:
- Ability to Work Independently – Drives self to complete work without expectations of monitoring or help; is resourceful and independent
- Analytical Skills – Conducts sound analyses and formulates his or her own conclusions; prepares excellent summaries with sound recommendations
- Communication Skills – Skillfully interprets, applies and explains rather complicated rules, regulations, policies and procedures to others
- Cooperate and Collaborate – Works successfully and harmoniously with others toward the success of the department, not just own function
- Critical Thinking – Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Decision Making Ability – Makes decisions in a complex environment comprised of partial, often changing information, and priorities
- Interpersonal Skills – Responsible for on-going relationship management with a variety of contacts; nurtures relationships with other professionals, managers, and those outside the organization
- Leadership Ability – Enjoys leadership opportunities and applies what he/she learns to other situations
- Time Management Ability – Juggles many priorities; is responsive in order to get the job done on time; keeps costs low; and produces quality products
- Written Communication Skills – Expresses complex written concepts clearly; expresses complex multi-media concepts clearly; develops and conducts presentations with supporting visual aids
For additional position information, click here.