Boston Office – ASSOCIATE PLANNER I
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates is seeking a highly organized, independent, and motivated Associate Planner I for its Boston office to support the firm’s nationally recognized transit service planning practice. This practice emphasizes creative and innovative transportation planning and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development and reduced dependence on the private automobile. Accordingly, they are seeking an individual with a strong interest in transit planning but also some background in developing sustainable strategies to improve community accessibility and mobility.
As an Associate Planner I in the transit group, candidates will be expected to:
- Organize and supervise data collection activities in the office and the field
- Analyze public transit data (ridechecks, surveys and operations)
- Write sections of reports related to transit service evaluation and planning
- Prepare Existing Conditions reports (census, GIS, growth, current services, etc)
- Conduct research as needed to assist senior staff on projects
- Assist senior staff with business development proposals
- Assist with community outreach activities
Though much of the work will come from projects in New England and the East Coast, there may be opportunities for the candidate to contribute to Nelson\Nygaard projects across the United States. Candidates must be willing to travel (on average two overnight stays per month plus numerous day trips) and must have a valid Driver’s License.
The ideal candidate would be someone who:
- has a Masters Degree in urban or transportation planning, or a B.A./B.S. in urban or transportation planning, plus at least one year of transit planning experience;
- has a passion for transit planning, and is interested in making communities better for our clients and their constituents;
- can demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts in at least two of the following areas:
- Short and long range transit planning
- Comprehensive Operational Analyses (COAs)
- Transit/shuttle planning and operations
- Bus rapid transit/rapid bus planning
- Light rail and/or streetcar planning
- Multimodal circulation studies
- Campus transit planning
- Transportation master plans
- Data collection and route performance assessments
- demonstrates excellent skills in writing, data analysis, oral presentation and problem solving (potential candidates may be asked to demonstrate their writing and oral presentation skills before a selection panel); and
- demonstrates basic proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word (additional experience with GIS and Adobe Illustrator software is a plus).
They are looking for someone who can begin immediately.
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary for this position is $50,000.
Benefits include medical, dental, and no medical exam term life insurance, carshare and bikeshare membership, pre-tax transit or bicycling benefit, a 401K program, life insurance, and paid time-off.
Other benefits of the position include:
- A dynamic and self-directed work environment
- Project-based work experience
- Collaboration with leading planners
- Flexible work hours and arrangements
- Opportunities for travel
- A relaxed, congenial and supportive office culture
How to Apply
Prior to sending your materials, please combine a cover letter and resume into a single PDF with the filename format “Firstname Lastname – Boston Transit Associate.pdf”. Please send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Boston Office Transit Associate Position”.
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. No phone calls, please.