The Coalition for Smarter Growth, the leading organization in the Washington DC region dedicated to making the case for smart growth, is looking for an exceptional individual to add to their team – a self-starter with strong people skills, excellent written and verbal communications abilities, a talent to translate policy into action, and good strategic sense. Someone who can take the reins of our work in Montgomery County, MD for better transit, safer streets, more transit-oriented development, and less sprawl. A core focus will be their campaign for the implementation of an extensive Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system and expanding support for improving existing transit like Metro. Other campaigns include stopping outdated and destructive highway plans, preserving state funding for transit, changing road designs to make the suburbs more walkable, and increasing support for smart growth through neighborhood walking tours and forums.
This position involves a lot of time in the field, and working in our dynamic and flexible office, conveniently located near Union Station, joining five other full-time staff members and a revolving cast of volunteer interns and fellows. This position is funded through the end of the year, and they are in the midst of a fundraising push to meet our goal of making the position permanent.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Serve as a primary ambassador of the Coalition for Smarter Growth in Montgomery County to local officials, community and business leaders, residents, and activists
- Build and maintain coalitions of environmental, pro-transit, business, and community groups to campaign for smart growth and rapid transit
- Cultivate existing smart growth grassroots supporters in Montgomery and locate and engage new supporters through grassroots outreach techniques
- Make educational presentations focusing on transit and smart growth benefits at community meetings
- Organize educational and campaign events such as walking tours, educational forums, press conferences, lobby days, and volunteer gatherings
- Research, develop, and direct strategy for new and ongoing smart growth campaigns
- Track relevant smart growth and transportation issues at the state and county level, and, in coordination with senior policy staff, craft and deliver testimony
- Work with Coalition for Smarter Growth communications staff to craft an effective message, compelling email alerts, informative and engaging blog posts, and a persuasive social media campaign
- Communicate and build relationships with relevant local and regional press members to ensure coverage and incorporation of smart growth issues in media coverage
- Participate in other Coalition for Smarter Growth activities like fundraising campaigns and supporter events, as needed
- Manage and support interns and volunteers working on Montgomery campaigns
- At least two years of organizing experience with electoral, issue advocacy campaigns, community organizing, or unions; or two years working with smart growth or transit policy (with some graduate school experience applicable). A combination of policy and organizing experience will move your resume to the top of the pile. Experience in policy, politics, or organizing in the DC suburbs is a plus.
- Superb writing and editing skills in conjunction with the ability to take a complicated issue and boil it down into a few readable, easy-to-digest paragraphs.
- An outgoing personality when needed and comfort speaking with new people from a range of backgrounds.
- A team player and positive personality who can work with our tight-knit team in a moderately-sized space and build consensus among coalition partners.
- A strong commitment to walkable, inclusive communities and the transit investments needed to support them.
Please submit a resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in smart growth in the DC region and strengths you would bring to the job, and a short writing sample to email@example.com. Make sure your subject line reads “Montgomery Campaign Manager Application.” Starting salary will be in the $40,000 to $45,000 annual range, with the exact level dependent on experience. At the moment, this is a guaranteed position only through December 31, 2015, though it is our intent to make this a long-term position through our ongoing fundraising efforts. Ideal start date is mid-June, but we are flexible for the right candidate.
The job posting can be found here: http://www.smartergrowth.net/jobs/montgomery-campaign-manager/