Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates seeks a highly organized, independent, and motivated Associate I for its Portland office. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to become involved in Nelson\Nygaard’s growing practice, which is focused on multimodal transportation planning for livable communities. Nelson\Nygaard’s work emphasizes creative, innovative transit/transportation planning and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development and reduced dependence on the private automobile.
The position will be responsible for assisting on a range of projects including multimodal plans, TDM studies, transit evaluations, Active Transportation plans, Complete Streets design and policy work, transit-oriented development (TOD) plans, parking analysis, paratransit studies, among others.
An Associate I is expected to:
- Lead data collection activities and analysis in the office and/or field
- Analyze and map data in an engaging and user-friendly manner
- Collect, enter, tabulate and analyze demographic and performance data
- Prepare memos explaining methodology and findings
- Lead the preparation of existing conditions reports and other plan chapters
- Conduct research as needed to assist senior staff on projects
- Assist with the preparation of presentations and other community outreach activities
Candidates should have a Master’s Degree in city/urban planning, transportation, engineering, or related planning field. Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in city/urban planning, transportation, or related planning field and 2-3 years of directly relevant experience will also be considered.
The ideal candidate should have some in-depth knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- City, Urban or Regional Transportation Planning
- Bus, Light Rail, Commuter Rail, and/or Streetcar Planning
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Facility Planning
- Parking Planning
- Paratransit and Demand-Responsive Services
- Street Design Guidelines
- Data Collection
Applicants with solid design skills in GIS, Adobe Ilustrator, SketchUp, and AutoCAD are strongly preferred.
Salary & Benefits:
The annual salary for this position is $52,500. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, carshare and bikeshare membership, pre-tax transit or bicycling benefit, a 401K program, life insurance, and paid time off. Other benefits of the position include a dynamic and self-directed work environment, collaboration with leading planners, and a congenial and supportive office culture.
Please combine cover letter, resumes, and graphic work samples into a single PDF with the file format “FirstnameLastname-PDX Associate I.pdf” and email documents by August 21, 2015 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.