Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates is seeking to fill a position (Associate III – Transportation Planner) and is looking for a highly organized, independent, and motivated person for their New York office to support the firm’s nationally recognized multimodal transportation planning practice. This practice emphasizes creative and innovative transportation planning and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development, health, and reduced dependence on the private automobile. They are seeking an individual with at least four years of experience and a strong interest in multimodal transportation planning as well as some background or interest in developing sustainable strategies to improve community accessibility and mobility.
Nelson\Nygaard offers a dynamic and self-directed work environment that is fast-paced, congenial, and supportive. Their office culture is built upon diversity and creativity. This is a great opportunity to work with one of the most dynamic and innovative groups of planners and engineers in the United States, including highly talented senior and support staff.
The successful candidate for this position will be expected to help manage projects and conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis. Projects might be located anywhere throughout the U.S., and thus a willingness, and desire, to travel is helpful. The chosen candidate will work closely with Nelson\Nygaard’s senior and junior staff in the New York office, and also with staff in their other offices throughout the country. Their approach is to bring the most appropriate staff together irrespective of where they are based, as collaboration across offices produces better outcomes and improves all of their skills.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate should have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience, preferably with a focus on multimodal transportation planning. A candidate should be able to demonstrate experience in at least five (5) of the following areas:
- Complete streets
- Corridor plans
- Specific area plans
- Short- and long-range transit planning
- Transit/shuttle service design, planning and operations
- Bus Rapid Transit/Rapid Bus
- Light rail, commuter rail, and/or streetcar planning
- Multimodal/intermodal facility planning
- Transit station area planning
- Citywide transportation planning and analysis
- Campus transportation planning
- Parking management
- Bicycle/pedestrian facility planning
- Street design guidelines
- Data collection and performance assessments
- Transportation demand management
- Transport policy, funding, and governance
- Paratransit and demand-responsive services
- Advanced graphics communications (InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUp, Photoshop)
- Traffic analysis and modeling (Synchro, VISSIM, TransCAD)
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Manage tasks within a specified budget and timeframe
- Work successfully with clients, members of the public, and project teams
- Outline and contribute to the preparation of reports
- Analyze a wide range of transportation data and manage the completion of technical analyses, feasibility studies, and other transportation reports
- Prepare and give effective presentations
At a minimum, the candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- At least four (4) years of responsible experience in transportation planning, traffic engineering, or a related field.
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in urban or transportation planning, or a related planning field. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal, and other communication skills.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
They are looking for someone who can begin immediately.
Salary and Benefits:
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, carshare and bikeshare membership, pre-tax transit or bicycling benefit, a 401K program, life insurance, and paid time off. Other benefits of the position include a dynamic and self-directed work environment, collaboration with leading planners, and a congenial and supportive office culture. Applicants should include salary requirements in their inquiry.
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into a single PDF with the filename format “Firstname Lastname – NY Associate.pdf,” and send to: email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.
Nelson\Nygaard is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer