Smart Growth America is seeking a Transportation Program Manager to help communities across the country better coordinate land use and transportation policies. This person will deliver technical assistance to state agency staff, work with town and city leaders across the country, and advocate on transportation policy and program issues with members of Congress.
An ideal Transportation Program Manager will be a technical expert, personal connector, and outstanding project manager. This person will be a transportation engineer by training with an in-depth knowledge of the integration of transportation and land use policy and practice; performance measures; project selection, development, design and delivery standards and procedures within a DOT; and the funding, rules, and policies governing DOT planning, project development, and project delivery. They will also have specific knowledge of Complete Streets, and experience designing and delivering multi-modal transportation projects.
The Transportation Program Manager will be responsible for working with DOTs, MPOs and City or County DOTs and public works on a wide range of land use and transportation issues. That includes helping those agencies to adopt and implement Complete Streets policies and practices; adopt performance measures; and improve return on investment from transportation projects across a number of criteria including economic, health, equity, and environmental measures. This position’s work may also include leading studies, reports, and trainings on these and other topics and policy issues. This person will act as lead on many of these projects, so experience managing staff, budget, and grant timelines is preferred. Additional responsibilities will include:
- Lead technical assistance for state DOTs, MPOs, and City and County DOTs;
- Conduct research, develop policy positions, write policy papers, and inform transportation advocacy efforts;
- Act as lead or team member for technical assistance efforts to local governments, state governments and other SGA technical assistance efforts;
- Assist on other projects where specific transportation expertise is needed;
- Manage program staff, budget, and grant deliverables;
- Help market the transportation program;
- Conduct limited fundraising; and
- Speak publicly before elected officials, transportation professionals, and the general public.
This position requires a self-starting, detail-oriented engineering professional with excellent writing, oral communication, research, technical, and organizational skills. A successful applicant will also have the following:
- A degree in civil engineering;
- A professional engineering license in at least one state;
- Experience working at a state or local DOT;
- Basic computer literacy in word processing and Microsoft Excel;
- The ability to work in teams;
- The ability to manage their time to accommodate multiple assignments from different project leads; and
- A dedication to delivering high quality work.
Compensation, Location and Time Frame:
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k), and paid vacation and sick time. This position will report to the Transportation Program Director.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter, three references, and two short writing samples (no more than two pages each) to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Transportation Program Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted immediately on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
For more information about this position, click here.