Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates seeks a highly organized, independent, and motivated Intern for its Portland office. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to become involved in Nelson\Nygaard’s growing practice, which is focused on multimodal transportation planning for livable communities. Nelson\Nygaard’s work emphasizes creative, innovative transit/transportation planning and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development and reduced dependence on the private automobile.
Nelson\Nygaard seeks an employee with a planning background who specializes in visual display of data, including creation of maps, infographics, plan views, cross sections, and 3-D renderings. The position will assist on a range of projects including multimodal plans, TDM studies, transit studies, Active Transportation plans, Complete Streets design and policy work, transit-oriented development (TOD) plans, parking analysis, paratransit studies, among others.
The Transportation Planning Intern is expected to:
- Analyze and map data in an engaging and user-friendly manner using ArcGIS
- Be familiar with ArcGIS analytical tools such as Spatial Analyst and Model Builder
- Have experience downloading and mapping Census and LEHD data
- Exhibit strong Illustrator skills to create infographics and polished maps
- Be an intermediate to advanced user of SketchUp, Photoshop, In Design, and AutoCAD
- Possess a natural design sense to create pleasing, informative, engaging, and easy-to-understand graphics.
The ideal candidate should be enrolled in a graduate planning program in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Public Policy, or Geography; or have recently completed a bachelor’s degree in these topics. Expertise in ArcGIS, Illustrator, and graphic design is required. Solid experience with Adobe Photoshop, In Design, AutoCAD, and SketchUp is preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
Expected hours are 29 per week. Interns are paid between $18 and $20/hour, depending on experience. Secure bike parking on site.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and a link to graphic samples in one PDF, to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 18, 2015.
No phone calls please.