The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) seeks an experienced Policy Analyst professional to join them in promoting an innovative regional transit network. Put your transit policy knowledge, excellent writing skills, and analytical savvy to work to help build Northern Virginia’s economy and communities by expanding transportation choices, reducing traffic congestion, and improving air quality and energy efficiency.
In this new position, the Policy Analyst will coordinate all aspects of the agency’s legislative and policy efforts, support Commissioners and senior managers representing the Commission, analyze transit and other surface transportation policy issues at the Federal and state level, and conduct data analysis to support Commission policy initiatives. The Policy Analyst will also support work on key initiatives such as the role of transit in the economic vitality of the region, development of high capacity, high quality transit on Route 7, and other work of the Commission.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced policy analyst who has worked on transit and transportation-related policy issues at either the federal, Virginia, or local level, is a quick study of complex public policy issues, and has a demonstrated interest and expertise in transit and related issues. We are looking for a creative problem solver who has excellent written and oral communication and skills in developing solid analytical and well-written policy briefs and other products. This position requires a college degree and three to five years of relevant experience supported with strong references.
- Monitors and analyzes federal and state policy developments, regulations, and guidance related to public transportation and related programs
- Develops briefings, talking points and reports on federal and state legislative and policy development related to public transportation and related programs
- Performs data analysis, using Excel and other quantitative tools, to demonstrate the implications of policy decisions
- Works with the NVTC management team to formulate policy alternatives and solutions
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in public policy, economics, transportation policy, or a related field with three year’s work experience in transportation policy or public policy research and analysis.
Experience monitoring and analyzing public transportation legislation, policy, regulations or guidance at the Federal, Virginia or local level
- Proven ability to write concise policy briefs and reports that are both politically salient and exemplify sound policy concepts
- Demonstrated experience analyzing quantitative data to support policy decision making using tools such as Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work independently and in a team setting.
Efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently, while managing multiple deadlines
- Additional related work experience beyond the minimum three year requirement
- Experience in developing policy or legislative reports, analyses, recommendations for board action, and comments to legislative and regulatory agencies
- Demonstrated understanding of the elements of transportation funding at the Federal and Virginia state level
- Experience in writing and reviewing legislative text
- Experience in writing official comments, briefs, presentations, policy memos, testimony, web-content, and letters to the General Assembly or Congress
- Experience with document layout, graphic design, and presentation software
How to Apply:
The job will remain open until filled. NVTC is an equal opportunity employer. Please provide a complete resume including your salary history and requirements, as well as a letter describing your qualifications and interest in this specific position. Include a writing sample not to exceed four pages.
Address your application to:
Director of Transit Programs and Policy
Northern Virginia Transportation Commission
2300 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 620
Arlington, VA 22201
Email your application to email@example.com.
Salary and Benefits:
NVTC provides outstanding benefits (life, health, dental, disability insurance; pension; pre-tax child care and medical cafeteria plan; free parking or parking cash-out; tax-free transit benefit; free on-site gym). We provide ZipCar membership and are located near Capital Bike Share stations. The competitive salary depends on experience and qualifications.
NVTC has a small staff located in offices in the vibrant Court House area of Arlington. NVTC is the premier transit organization in Northern Virginia whose mission is to promote high capacity, high quality transit that serves people and businesses across the region. We are leading experts on transit finance, coordinate regional planning studies and evaluations, and partner with other regional entities including the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission, and the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
NVTC’s jurisdictions include the counties of Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax and Falls Church covering over 1,000 square miles with a population of 1.7 million. NVTC includes six bus systems DASH, ART, CUE, Fairfax Connector, Loudoun County Transportation, and Metrobus; MetroRail and the Virginia Rail Express, Virginia’s only Commuter Rail.
Work hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Additionally, work hours may vary based on business needs and will include evening and occasional weekend hours.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.