Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates seeks a highly organized, independent, and motivated Intern for its Portland office. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to become involved in Nelson\Nygaard’s growing practice, which is focused on multimodal transportation planning for livable communities. Nelson\Nygaard’s work emphasizes creative, innovative transit/transportation planning and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development and reduced dependence on the private automobile.
The position will be responsible for assisting on a range of projects including multimodal plans, TDM studies, transit studies, Active Transportation plans, Complete Streets design and policy work, transit-oriented development (TOD) plans, parking analysis, paratransit studies, among others.
The Transportation Planning Intern is expected to…
• Assist with data collection activities and analysis in the office and/or field
• Analyze and map data in an engaging and user-friendly manner
• Collect, enter, tabulate and analyze demographic and performance data
• Prepare brief memos explaining methodology and findings
• Assist with the preparation of existing conditions reports and other plan chapters
• Conduct research as needed to assist senior staff on projects
• Assist with the preparation of presentations and other community outreach activities
The ideal candidate should have either completed a BA/BS in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Public Policy, or Geography; be currently enrolled in a graduate planning program; or recently completed a graduate planning program. Solid experience with MS Office, SPSS, Adobe products (including Illustrator and InDesign), Google SketchUp, AutoCAD, Vectorworks, and GIS is strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
Hours are flexible; up to 29 hours per week but not more than 130 hours per calendar month. Interns are paid $20/hour. Secure bike parking on site.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume, and 3 short work samples demonstrating analysis, mapping, graphic design, policy, and/or research skills (please limit use of group deliverables) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.