Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates is seeking a highly organized, independent, and motivated member of their senior-level staff for their San Francisco office to support the firm’s nationally recognized transit and multimodal transportation planning practice. This practice emphasizes innovative transportation planning, transit service planning, transit system funding, compliance, and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development, health, and reduced dependence on the private automobile. They are seeking an individual with at least eight years of experience and a strong interest in transit planning as well as some background in developing sustainable strategies to improve community accessibility and mobility.
Nelson\Nygaard offers a dynamic and self-directed work environment that is fast-paced, congenial, and supportive. Their office culture is built upon diversity and creativity. This is your opportunity to work with one of the most innovative groups of planners and engineers in the United States, including highly talented junior and support staff.
In this position, the successful candidate will be expected to manage and win midsize to large projects and provide guidance to staff. Your projects may be located anywhere throughout the United States, and thus a willingness and desire to travel is essential. You will work closely with Nelson\Nygaard’s senior and junior staff in the San Francisco office, and also with staff in their other offices throughout the country. Their approach is to bring the most appropriate staff together, irrespective of where they are based, as collaboration across offices produces better outcomes and improves all of their skills.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate should have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience, preferably with a focus on transit operations and planning. A candidate should be able to demonstrate expertise in at least five (5) of the following:
- Short- and long-range transit planning
- Transit/shuttle service design, planning and operations
- Transport policy, funding, and governance
- Fare policy and fare planning
- Financial Planning
- Data collection and performance assessments
- Paratransit and demand-responsive services
- Title VI policy and compliance
Other highly desirable skills include the following:
- Bus Rapid Transit/Rapid Bus
- Complete streets
- Corridor plans
- Specific area plans
- Light rail, commuter rail, and/or streetcar planning
- Multimodal/intermodal facility planning
- Transit station area planning
- Citywide transportation planning and analysis
- Campus transportation planning
- Parking management
- Bicycle/pedestrian facility planning
- Street design guidelines
- Transportation demand management
- Advanced graphics communications (InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUp, Photoshop)
- Traffic analysis and modeling (Synchro, VISSIM, TransCAD)
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Manage projects within a specified budget and timeframe
- Work independently to complete significant components of transportation analyses and planning effort
- Work successfully with clients, members of the public, and project teams
- Outline and prepare successful proposals and reports
- Analyze a wide range of transportation data and manage the completion of technical analyses, feasibility studies, and other transportation reports
- Prepare and give effective presentations
- Solve multimodal transportation problems
- Mentor and train junior staff
- Organize and supervise data collection activities in the office and the field
At a minimum, the candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- At least eight (8) years of responsible experience in transportation planning, traffic engineering, or a related field.
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in urban or transportation planning, or a related planning field. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal, and other communication skills, including facilitating public workshops.
- The ability to manage complex projects on time and on budget.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in business development a plus, i.e., winning work. If you have public agency experience, grant writing and successful RFP development are applicable skills.
We are looking for someone who can begin immediately.
Salary and Benefits:
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, carshare and bikeshare membership, pre-tax transit or bicycling benefit, a 401K program, life insurance, and paid time off. Other benefits of the position include a dynamic and self-directed work environment, collaboration with leading planners, and a congenial and supportive office culture. Applicants should include salary requirements in their inquiry.
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into a single PDF with the filename format “Firstname Lastname – SF Transit Senior Associate.pdf,” and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.