Research Analyst II
Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
This position is located in Philadelphia, PA.
This is a position for a motivated transportation professional with exceptional analytic and communication skills to improve safety for the travelling public and improve the ability of people and goods to reach their destinations in a manner that advances regional goals. It requires balancing technical work with coordination and communication. Work includes research, data analysis and interpretation, report writing, preparing and giving presentations, setting-up and facilitating meetings, and working with member governments and various other partners.
Work is performed in accordance with broadly defined objectives and professional standards with the opportunity for independent judgement, subject to administrative and technical review by the Manager, Office of Transportation Safety & Congestion Management and the Assistant Manager, Safety Programs during progress and upon completion.
- Provide assistance on transportation safety projects, including identify problems, analyze and interpret data, develop recommendations, and present them in writing and at meetings.
- Facilitate the multidisciplinary Regional Safety Task Force, including plan meetings and track outcomes, lead special projects, and bring creativity and flexibility to the evolution of the task force.
- Provide technical assistance to regional partners in the safety project development process and fulfill requests for data and analysis support.
- Help staff the Congestion Management Process (CMP), including assist with CMP Advisory Committee discussions, use wide-ranging data sources to update congested corridors in GIS, refine multimodal strategies for each congested subcorridor, communicate results in various ways including interactive mapping, advance elements to implementation, and evaluate progress.
- Work with member governments as Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) projects that impact single-occupant vehicle (SOV) travel are being developed, analyze multimodal solutions, facilitate agreement on tables of strategies, and track progress on completion of supplemental projects in online database.
- Analyze and visualize big data sets, including archived operations data and crash data.
- Participate in policy, regulatory, and technical discussions as new federal transportation performance measures are adopted; help with technical follow-through.
- Assist with the Central Jersey Transportation Forum and other related tasks as needed.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of transportation and transportation safety planning, including the relationship of transportation and land development, and socio-economic factors that influence transportation.
- Experience with data-driven analyses to understand trends and develop projects, including familiarity with the Highway Safety Manual.
- Demonstrated ability to present concepts clearly and concisely in oral, written, and graphic form; ability to synthesize analysis results and prepare reports that are easy to understand and technically sound.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, planning officials, and the public; strength at listening and drawing conclusions; skill at bringing different viewpoints to consensus.
- Proficiency in balancing tasks for multiple projects and supervisors; ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office and ArcGIS software.
- Experience with Access or Oracle, Publisher or InDesign, and web page design software is desirable.
Education and Experience
Three years of professional experience in transportation or regional planning supplemented with such training as may have been gained through graduation from a four-year college or university, with major course work in a discipline applicable to transportation or regional planning. A Master’s degree may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
Mid to High $40,000s (position level & salary commensurate with education & experience)
Forward a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.