Planning & Policy Director
Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition
This position is located in Los Angeles, California.
The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) is a nonprofit organization that promotes bicycling for transportation and recreation throughout LA County’s 88 cities through advocacy, education and outreach. Founded in 1998, LACBC brings together the diverse bicycling community in a united mission to improve the bicycling environment and quality of life for the entire region. Our vision is to improve the built environment in Los Angeles County, so that all bicyclists–low-income, commuter, recreational, families, and women–can safely navigate our streets.
Please apply by Tuesday, January 31st, 2017.
The Planning & Policy Director is responsible for all policy and research work for LACBC. They will play an important policy and analysis role, helping to develop and write content on LACBC’s policy campaigns. They will have to be able to translate complicated policy-heavy material into easy to understand content suitable for a mass audience. They will also have to be able to produce white papers and other policy pieces to be disseminated to lawmakers and policy partners around the county. They will also build relationships and create new partnerships with other non-profit organizations to further LACBC’s policy presence in the county beyond traditional bicycling spaces.
They must represent the organization with a high level of professionalism, organization, and friendliness. The Planning & Policy Director will supervise the Policy & Outreach Coordinator and future planning and policy department hires. They will serve on the Directors management team. The Planning & Policy Director reports to the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Advanced degree in Urban Planning, Public Policy, Law or equivalent work experience (2-5 years) in the fields of urban planning, environmental policy, environmental justice and/or community development required.
- Self motivated, creative, detail-oriented and energetic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be a public speaker, comfortable presenting in front of large groups.
- Fluency in second language preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice, the bicycle movement, and smart growth. Experience working in low-income communities of color preferred.
- Experience engaging and building relationships with lawmakers, government offices, and other policy organizations.
- Experience in project management and meeting facilitation.
- Experience with coalition-building to support projects and/or create policy changes.
- Experience supervising complex campaigns with multiple stakeholders and
organizing/motivating volunteers and groups.
- Knowledge of bicycle & pedestrian planning and/or engineering.
- Familiarity with Los Angeles City politics, council offices, and agencies preferred.
- Ability to develop and analyze legislative and regulatory materials and develop easy to understand factsheets based on those materials.
- Knowledge of local and regional transportation governance processes preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Google applications required. Adobe and/or GIS skills strongly recommended.
- Ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced work environment. Willingness to work after hours and weekends when necessary and ability to work independently.
- Must thrive on change, innovation, and teamwork.
For the full job description and to apply for this position go to LACBC’s website.