Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT)
This position is located in Hanover, MD
Executive Service(This position serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority)
The Maryland Department of Transportation The Secretary’s Office (MDOT TSO) is seeking a dynamic individual for the position of Regional Planner. This position has 5 main responsibilities:
- Represents the Department at policy committees of the Baltimore and Southern Maryland Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs), called the Baltimore Region Transportation Board (BRTB) and Calvert-St. Mary’s MPO (C-SMMPO), to ensure they comply with federal laws and regulations; and for consistency with the goals and policies of the State of Maryland;
- Coordinates development of various plans and programs (with the MDOT Business Units), including long-range transportation plans, work programs, and short-range improvement programs, for BTRB and C-SMMPO;
- Prepares briefing papers or letters for the Director of the Office of Planning and the Secretary on various issues as required;
- Provides input to the A-95 Clearinghouse process and local plan review, including coordination with modes as appropriate; and
- Provides support and follow-up for Pre-Tour and Tour meetings.
The current vacancy exists at MDOT TSO, in Hanover, Maryland in Anne Arundel County.
EDUCATION: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of experience in administrative or professional work. Three (3) years must have involved experience in metropolitan and/or statewide transportation planning and have experience working with metropolitan planning organizations. One (1) year of this experience must have involved one or more of the following: the supervision of other employees, overseeing and coordinating the general operations of a unit, applying rules and regulations, or exercising responsibility for the development of policies or procedures.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral);
- Excellent leadership skills;
- Knowledge of fundamental metropolitan and statewide transportation planning
principles, practices, and terminology; and
- A Masters degree in Planning, Transportation, Public Administration, Engineering,Geography or a closely related field from an accredited college or university (AICP accreditation is desirable).
Consideration for employment may be based solely on the contents of your application; therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part time, volunteer, military, acting
capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for.
If you have held more than one position at the same employer, please list each position that you held and the length of time that you held each position.
For more information and to see the full job posting, visit MDOT’s career website.