Transportation for America (T4America) – a program of Smart Growth America – is seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual with deep knowledge, experience and interest in transportation policy development and state or local level implementation to help lead the organization’s policy work. This high profile position reports to the Director of T4America and works in close partnership with T4America’s Outreach Director.
About Smart Growth America
Smart Growth America envisions a country where no matter where you live, or who you are, you can enjoy living in a place that is healthy, prosperous, and resilient. We empower communities
through technical assistance, advocacy, and thought leadership to realize this vision of
livable places, healthy people, and shared prosperity.
About Transportation for America
Transportation for America is a national nonprofit made up of local, regional and state leaders who seek a transportation system that safely, affordably and conveniently connects people of all means and ability to jobs, services and opportunity through multiple modes of travel.
Manage and advocate for T4America’s priorities
- Understanding the organization’s priorities — repairing existing transportation infrastructure, safety, access to jobs and essential services, implemented in a way that will create a resilient economy, stable climate and racial equity — and having a vision about how to achieve them;
- Develop proposals for legislative, regulatory and other executive actions at all levels of government to implement T4America’s priorities;
- Follow, analyze and communicate about transportation trends and how they impact T4America’s priorities;
- Develop relationships with policymakers and partners at all levels of government to create champions for our priorities;
- Working closely with the Outreach Director, build the capacity of our partners to engage with state and federal leaders on our policy agenda;
- Support technical assistance projects by serving as an instructor on policy-related issues and best practices in the field; and
- Craft strategy and tactics for effective advocacy.
- Collaborate with the T4America communications team to produce engaging content for the website and reports;
- Identify research opportunities, oversee and draft reports that explain challenges in transportation in the areas of climate, equity, safety and others and how to overcome them; and
- Speak on behalf of T4America and its coalition, including workshops, conferences and other events (outside of global pandemics, this will include travel).
Management and Fundraising
- Direct and supervise the policy work of the organization, including content creation, tracking legislation and project management; and
- Seek out funding for policy work including leading grant applications, management and reporting.
Knowledge and skills
- Commitment to the organization’s priorities and a vision about how to achieve them;
- Minimum of five years experience working in the transportation arena or a closely related policy field;
- Knowledge of relationship between transportation, climate, equity and economic development;
- Ability to analyze the transportation field and spot emerging trends;
- Knowledge of the legislative process at multiple levels of government, as well as the ability to think strategically and work across party lines;
- Project management skills and experience;
- Excellent time management and organization and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to strategically prioritize workload and complete multiple tasks and high volume of work;
- Excellent written/verbal skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Comfortable with working in a collaborative team environment, good interpersonal skills and experience working with a diverse population.
- An advanced degree in public policy, political science, planning or other related field;
- Experience working within a state or local transportation agency at the local, MPO or state level;
- Experience working on issues of equity and inclusion vis-à-vis transportation policy and practice;
- Staff management skills and experience; and
- Experience fundraising and in managing grants.
Compensation and location
The salary range for this position is $90,000-110,000. The successful candidate who would be in consideration to be compensated near the top of this range would need to have more than 5 years of experience, specific legislative or transportation agency experience and one or more of the knowledge and skills listed as preferred above. Benefits include health insurance, 401k, and paid vacation and paid sick time.
This position reports to the Director of T4America and is based in Washington, DC. SGA staff are currently working remotely on an indefinite basis due to the COVID-19 pandemic and likely to continue teleworking through at least the spring of 2021; therefore, the employee filling this position can live anywhere in the United States during the remote working period. However, they should be prepared to move to DC within 60 days of notice, if the office is reopened. No relocation assistance is offered at this time.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “ATTN: Policy Director Application” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate how you’ve learned of this opportunity.
Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Smart Growth America and Transportation for America are committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.