For information on how to post jobs on our site and have jobs posted in our monthly email please contact (Sponsorship@yptransportation.org).
Now Hiring: Events Manager
The Events Manager plays a lead role in planning and executing Boston Cyclists Union (BCU) events, including major fundraisers (Biketoberfest, Bos/treal) and community-building events, like Winter Biker Breakfasts, social rides, and more. This position also manages membership growth and engagement, and works with the BCU’s development team on sponsorship and other fundraising opportunities. There is some general administrative work related to this role, like maintaining our member/contact database of 12,000+ contacts, and sending mailings.
- Hours: Full time, 40hrs/week
- Reports to: Communications and Development Director
About the Boston Cyclists Union
The BCU’s mission is to transform the streets of Greater Boston into equitable and inviting people-centered spaces affording access and connection for every body. We accomplish this through organizing, advocacy, public actions, and holding city and state agencies accountable to build out the network of safe, protected bike infrastructure. In addition, we provide and teach free bike repair at farmers markets, and hold events to support and grow the bike community.
Our 1,000+ member grassroots organization is one of the most active and effective transportation advocacy groups in Metro Boston. The Boston Cyclists Union works to increase ridership in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, and Brookline. We aim to connect our homes, parks, schools, paths and business districts with a network of low-stress bike routes, including quiet neighborhood streets and protected bike lanes, so that people of all ages and abilities can feel safe and comfortable riding a bike. We see our organizing as connected to other issues of environmental justice, mobility justice, and housing justice. Recognizing that systemic racism and inequities have impacted how our cities are built and how projects continue to be prioritized, we advocate for an equitable distribution of resources and safe cycling infrastructure throughout Boston.
- Play a lead role in planning and executing two major annual fundraising events: Our fall party, Biketoberfest, and a high-donor VIP fundraiser
- Manage and help plan Bos/treal, our annual fundraising bike ride
- Manage annual member drives, renewal emails, donor acknowledgement, and other activities and marketing strategies to recruit, engage, and retain supporters
- Work with our organizing team to plan and execute events that build the BCU’s visibility and grow our membership (i.e. Biker Breakfasts, Winter Biking Clinics, Bike Month activities, etc.)
- Recruit and manage volunteers to help with events
- Keep our 12,000+ member, donor and contact database updated (EveryAction)
- Maintain BCU’s event calendar and keep website updated
- Solicit in-kind donations and cash sponsorships from businesses in support of events and programs
- Coordinate content creation, printing and mailing of annual year-end appeal with print house and other staff
- Assist with social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and newsletter content
- Evaluate and improve the existing membership program and benefits
- Perform data entry and other administrative and office management tasks
- Commitment to the Boston Cyclists Union’s mission, vision and values
- Experience planning and executing events, including volunteer management
- Organized and detail oriented, with the ability to track and execute tasks reliably
- Desire to work as part of a team, including group reflection, receiving and giving feedback and honoring the strengths/passions of all team members
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and ask for help when needed
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Google Sheets
- Working knowledge of EveryAction, WordPress, Asana, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite or other design software is desired but not required
- Excellent communicator with people from diverse backgrounds
- Bilingual abilities are a plus, but not required
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for rides, events and tabling, volunteer nights, and committee meetings
Salary is $50,000-55,000 commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Benefits include health and dental insurance offerings (including 100% health insurance employer contribution for individuals), retirement plan with employer match, two weeks of paid vacation in the first year (with subsequent increases) along with paid federal holidays and 5 personal days, reimbursement for cell phone use, and a commitment to training and professional development opportunities. During COVID, staff have been working from home with an allowance. Post-COVID there is flexibility for a mix of working in the office and from home if desired, though this position will require being in the office at least some days each week.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter about your experience and interest in the position along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Events Manager, YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with preference given to applications received by Friday, August 6. Women and LGBTQI and BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Boston Cyclists Union is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.