For information on how to post jobs on our site and have jobs posted in our monthly email please contact (Sponsorship@yptransportation.org).
Web Developer (Front-end Focused)
High Street is a consulting firm that builds state-of-the-art digital applications for public agency owners of America’s transportation system. We are known nationally for creating cutting edge, data-driven solutions deployed by our clients to help overcome complex policy and planning challenges. If you are a self-driven web developer looking for an out-of-the-ordinary job where you get to make a difference by helping to solve some of the country’s toughest public policy challenges, High Street is the place for you! Members of our team can live/work where they choose, and we never churn out ‘cookie cutter’ work. Above all, we prize multi-disciplinary collaboration on every project across our diverse group of developers, data scientists, policy experts and planners to craft creative and effective solutions that delight our clients.
Examples of how High Street’s team is making a difference with our work include the online searchable inventory we’re building to help Texans knit together the contents of local bike and pedestrian plans across the state and catalyze investment in bike-friendly infrastructure or the machine learning work we are doing to help a DOT catalogue the locations of important safety features like guardrails using 2.5 million images. We want to hear from you if you think you’d be a good fit for these kinds of projects and more.
Each project we do is unique; adaptability to changing work responsibilities on every assignment is a must for this job. You will typically juggle about 3 to 5 projects concurrently with each ranging from about 3 to 18 months in duration. This position is front-end focused but requires full stack familiarity. On any given project, your responsibilities might include:
- Building a web application on one of a variety of platforms, or creating a custom GIS tool to automate a
- Assisting the project team with data tasks
- Engaging with the client
- Conducting quality assurance, testing, and writing documentation
- Performing complex data analysis in client databases
- Supporting or leading project teams.
High Street’s team and clients are located throughout the United States and this position may require occasional travel, but it will primarily be work from home.
- Computer Science or Mathematics BS or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency writing responsive CSS and familiarity with one or more CSS preprocessors (e.g. LESS, SASS)
- Experience working as part of a web development team and using source version control tools (e.g. git)
- Front-end focused but with ability to work across all layers of modern web development stacks
- Experience in building apps using ArcGIS Web App Builder or Experience Builder
- Familiarity with basic GIS programming concepts and spatial datasets
- Familiarity with both functional and object-oriented programming practices
- Aptitude for virtual workplace setting, including ability to self-learn and problem solve, comfort with working both independently and as part of a team, and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Other benefits include performance-based annual bonus, health care stipend, home office allowance or paid co-working space rent, paid time off, flexible work environment, paid parental leave, and 401k program.
About High Street
We are a growing 25-person team of creative and hardworking planning, analytics, and digital application development professionals dedicated to delivering outstanding solutions for our clients. We help transportation practitioners understand and respond to emerging issues using a combination of qualitative and quantitative solutions. Consulting work always involves some travel and periods of intensity, but High Street is committed to work-life balance and respects our team members’ time and priorities outside work. High Street is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a resume, cover letter and work sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a brief description of your contribution to the work sample. We will conduct initial screening interviews with promising candidates followed by a written test and a second-round interview for finalists.