For information on how to post jobs on our site and have jobs posted in our monthly email please contact (Sponsorship@yptransportation.org).
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
The Transportation for Massachusetts (T4MA) coalition is hiring a Community Engagement Manager. This person will collaborate with environmental justice communities, community-based organizations, and other coalition partners working to improve and expand access to public transportation, walking, biking, and other affordable, clean, and reliable transportation options. As part of that work, the successful candidate will develop and maintain partnerships and mobilize coalition members to create transformative policy change at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Build and strengthen relationships with existing coalition members and partners and develop new relationships with community-based and social justice organizations around the state.
- Uplift transportation priorities and initiatives of community-based and social justice organizations across Massachusetts.
- Develop policy positions for the coalition in conjunction with Transportation for Massachusetts’ policy team with a strong emphasis on transportation justice.
- Identify opportunities for the coalition to support community-led and/or grassroots-led efforts outside of Metro Boston.
- Co-Chair the Regional Transit Authority Advocates Coalition (RTAAC), including planning and facilitating monthly coalition and strategy team meetings, managing the logistics of coalition-building opportunities, and preparing members to engage in campaign tactics (e.g. legislator calls, sign-on letters, op-eds).
- Co-Chair the Transit Is Essential Coalition, including monthly meetings, organizing events, and participating in communications, organizing, strategy and other advocacy work.
- Lead a Transportation Justice subgrant process to offer funding for transportation-related projects that build capacity at frontline organizations across Massachusetts.
- Mobilize T4MA members as well as other community-based and social justice organizations on transportation justice policy opportunities and threats.
- Participate as a T4MA staff member in working on the coalition’s statewide transportation advocacy.
- Work with the coalition’s communications team in centering transportation justice issues and opportunities, including developing media content to highlight the coalition’s work.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrated success in working in racially and economically diverse coalitions, and experience working in and with communities of color.
- Passion for transportation justice, and a strong understanding of the role of race and class in perpetuating transportation and environmental injustice.
- Strong communications, technical and interpersonal skills to help develop and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Relevant professional and/or volunteer experience in community organizing, election campaigns, or issue-based campaigns
- Familiarity with transportation services and issues, and ability to learn and synthesize relevant information; familiarity with climate, public health, and/or housing issues also desirable.
- Self-motivated and organized working style; strong commitment to follow-through.
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully through e-mail, video calls, phone calls, and in person.
- Comfort with facilitating meetings that bring in all voices and allow for respectful disagreement.
- Additional language skills a plus (e.g., Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Mandarin or Cantonese Chinese).
- The role requires occasional travel (day trips) within the Commonwealth and occasional, infrequent travel (multi-day trips) out of state, subject to health and safety protocols.
T4MA is committed to representing communities that have been impacted by transportation injustice, and to providing a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION + BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $70,000, depending on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume and cover letter to Josh Ostroff, Interim Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Job Application – Community Engagement Manager”. This is a priority hire and will be filled as soon as possible, so please apply promptly if interested. Applications will be accepted until we have filled this key role.
WHO WE ARE:
Transportation for Massachusetts (T4MA) is a diverse coalition of more than 100 member and partner organizations with a stake in improving transportation across the Commonwealth. Our coalition advocates at the state, federal, and local levels for transportation policies that are innovative, sustainable, and environmentally friendly. We want a modern transportation system that strengthens our economy and our communities, while also being safer, healthier, more affordable and reliable. T4MA is located at a co-working space in Boston, while during the pandemic our staff primarily works remotely.