Employee Status: Regular
Bargaining Unit: Non-Union
Pay Range: $87,009 – $118,257
Location: 97 Front St. W., Toronto
Closing Date: 27-May-2022
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster, and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Our Project Planning division is seeking a Senior Advisor to lead major multi-disciplinary policy and planning studies to further the implementation of the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
What will I be doing?
- Leads the planning and preliminary design stages of transit projects in the Greater Golden Horseshoe (GGH), including bus rapid transit, light rail transit, subways, passenger rail, and new GO stations, to support evidence-based decision making and the delivery of equitable and sustainable transit infrastructure.
- Manages medium-to-long-range transit infrastructure planning studies and multi-disciplinary project teams to enable transit expansion in the GGH.
- Interprets data, policy, and study outcomes to provide advice and recommend projects and strategies to Senior Management, the Metrolinx Board of Directors, and Government.
- Develops and implements study scopes, work plans, schedules, and other documents to support the delivery of planning studies and business cases.
- Procures and oversees consultant assignments to ensure that projects meet budgets and schedules, and reviews deliverables to ensure that Metrolinx’s standards of quality and analysis are met. This includes writing scopes of services, developing budgets, navigating procurement processes, reviewing bids, negotiating fees, and managing consultant teams.
- Proactively and clearly communicates project updates, risks, and issues to the Manager, Project Planning and key internal stakeholders.
- Engages key internal and external stakeholders in the development of studies, such as municipalities, ministries, transit service providers, and other partner organizations.
- Crafts and presents briefing memorandums, slide decks, and technical reports to a wide range of audiences, including Senior Management and community stakeholders.
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Minimum six (6) years’ experience in transportation planning, including in a project management or coordination role
- Completion of a diploma or degree in Urban and Regional Transportation Planning or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Demonstrated project management and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to coordinate multiple complex projects, meeting schedule and budget commitments.
- Strong analytical and planning skills and thorough knowledge of transit planning processes and methodologies
- Ability to work and facilitate sensitive conversations with a variety of audiences and stakeholders, including communicating complex concepts and negotiating outcomes, both orally and in writing.
- Political acuity, understanding of transit decision-making processes, and general knowledge of contemporary transportation issues and priorities in the GGH.
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
Metrolinx employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with Metrolinx’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you are not able to obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request accommodation from Metrolinx.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER