For in)formation on how to post jobs on our site and have jobs posted in our monthly email please contact (Sponsorship@yptransportation.org).
About Toole Design
Toole Design is the leading engineering, planning, and landscape architecture firm specializing in multimodal transportation. Since our start in 2003 as a single office in Maryland, we have expanded throughout the United States and Canada. Our talented team of planners, landscape architects and engineers are committed to delivering quality work that meets the needs of all people, regardless of age, ability, race or gender. We have been named a “best firm to work for” and have one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
Every project our employees deliver directly and positively affects our communities. We are industry-leading experts, and we work hard to encourage a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
Pittsburgh, PA • Engineering
Toole Design Group in Pittsburgh, PA is looking to hire an experienced and talented full-time Engineer (Civil /Roadway). Do you have a growing background in civil engineering with roadway/corridor design or site development experience? Are you passionate about creating quality construction documents? Would you like to work for a firm that is committed to the well-being of its employees? If so, please consider joining our Pittsburgh team.
This engineer (civil/roadway) position with a focus on roadway design and active transportation earns a competitive salary and great benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, a health savings account (HSA), and a flexible spending account (FSA). We practice what we preach and ensure that our employees also have access to transportation by providing them with financial incentives to bike, walk, or use transit for a better quality of life.
A Day in the Life of an Engineer (Civil/Roadway)
As an Engineer, the things you design will get built! You’ll use state of the art tools and practices to help create sustainable multimodal transportation infrastructure. You’ll work with your colleagues to engage communities, develop concepts, produce quick-build schematic-level construction documents, and assist with the implementation of multimodal projects that range from small improvements to full-scale street reconfigurations. You will use programs such as AutoCAD and/or MicroStation to fulfill production work on your projects. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of designing and implementing real solutions.
Work Schedule for an Engineer (Civil/Roadway):
This full-time position typically works a flexible schedule of 40 hours a week. We also provide employees with the flexibility and necessary equipment to work from home 2-3 days per week.
Ready to Join our Pittsburgh Team?
We understand your time is valuable, so we have a quick and easy application process. If you feel that you would be right for this Engineer (Civil/Roadway) position, please fill out our application by clicking on the link on this page.
At Toole Design, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
We’re proud that about half of our managers are women and are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. Toole Design is a woman-owned business and an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer).
Qualifications of an Engineer (Civil /Roadway):
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering
• EIT certification, or ability to obtain it within one year
• 2 – 4 years of experience developing construction documents for roadways or highways
• A broad knowledge base in civil engineering with a transportation focus and specific knowledge of horizontal and vertical roadway geometric design (MUTCD and AASHTO)
• Experience with one or more of the following: MicroStation InRoads, MicroStation OpenRoads, AutoCAD Civil 3D
• Experience developing construction documents and cost estimates is a plus
• Having a strong interest in multimodal and active transportation design is preferred
You’ll be great here if:
• You are a team player and enjoy participating in multi-disciplinary teams
• You are passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable
• You enjoy producing high-quality work products and seeing your projects get built
• You have strong communication skills, whether written, verbal, and/or graphically
• You are open to learning, bring enthusiasm to exciting projects, and are detail oriented with strong problem-solving skills