WSP is currently initiating a search for Lead Traffic Engineer for our Buffalo, New York office. We are looking to grow our traffic services in the Buffalo and Western NY region and are looking for the right individual to support existing projects and secure future work efforts. Be involved in projects with our Traffic Engineering Team and be a part of a growing and diverse organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Serve as the lead traffic engineer for the Buffalo and western NY region working on existing projects and to secure future work efforts to grow the practice.
- Serve as lead traffic engineer on transportation planning, concept plan development, and feasibility studies of highway, bridge and other transportation facilities projects.
- Provide guidance and training to entry and mid-level engineers or project members.
- Manage projects or lead/support traffic engineering tasks and monitor scope, schedule, and budget.
- Oversee and monitor cross-functional teams of engineers, planners, and scientific professionals to execute project work on mid-level and/or multiple concurrent projects, including budgets, tracking hours and expenses, task completion, cost and quantities of materials/equipment/labor, technical calculations, permit applications, construction, compliance documentation, and regulatory and technical analysis memos.
- Engage in business development activities.
- May provide support for transportation projects in other WSP offices. Occasional travel may be required.
- Support related TSMO and ITS projects and implementation efforts.
- Prepare Signing and Pavement Marking design plans and Traffic Signal and Electrical design plans.
- Prepare Traffic Control/Staging (i.e., Maintenance and Protection of Traffic) design plans.
- Perform Crash Analysis and Safety Studies
- Oversee traffic data collection, trip generation, and traffic analysis activities on various projects
- Prepare technical writing documents, visualizations, such as tables and charts, and presentations.
- Prepare engineering design plans, specifications, quantity calculations and cost estimates.
- Support preparation of statements of qualifications and proposals.
- Coordinate with other disciplines working on multi-disciplinary projects.
- Remain current in latest traffic engineering techniques and practices.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 7 to 10 years of relevant post education experience in traffic engineering design and construction projects.
- NY State PE License (licensure in additional states is preferred but not required).
- MS Word Package, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently within hybrid work environment
- Working knowledge of traffic engineering software, such as HCS, Synchro & SimTraffic, (VISSIM preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate complex issues to the general public.
- Familiarity with AutoTURN, GuidSIGN, Microstation, and/or AutoCAD.
- Proficiency with the MUTCD, HCM, AASHTO, ITE guidelines, ADA Accessibility Guidelines, and the NYSDOT and NYSTA Roadway Design and Traffic Engineering Manuals.
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Demonstrated effectiveness at coordinating and assertively directing subcontractors and others to consistently complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Master’s Degree in a related field.
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) certification.
- Experience managing small to mid-size projects.
- Interaction with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, clients, and public in a confident and professional manner.
- Experience supporting planning level work efforts and having the ability to provide design guidance on conceptual design and environmental clearance efforts.
- Experience developing construction bid packages, including plans, construction cost estimates, and technical specifications.
- Experience and/or ability to perform field work, including site inventories and/or traffic data collection.
- Experience in Highway Lighting Design
- Ability to work independently and as part of multi-discipline teams
- Commitment to detail and delivering quality work products within budget and schedule
Compensation and Benefits:
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
Expected Salary: $89,200 – $182,000
WSP USA is providing the compensation range and general description of other compensation and benefits that the company in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position based on the successful applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities in addition to internal equity and geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, or federal law.