Level I Engineer (Durham, NC)
JOB TITLE: Engineer (Level I)
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full Time/Exempt
LOCATION: Durham, NC
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience. This full time, exempt position offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, LTD, Life Insurance, 401(k) with employer match, wellness, bike tune-up, and transit reimbursement.
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities where bicycling and walking are safe, healthy, fun, and normal daily activities. We specialize in bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, greenway, and roadway planning, design, and implementation in addition to outreach and education programs.
This position is responsible for contributing to the production of high-quality materials, reports and other deliverables in support of project objectives.
A general understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality reports and analyses.
- Produce high-quality, accurate and complete design drawings, cost estimates and other project deliverables.
- Assist Project Managers in the development of project deliverables.
RESPONSIBILITIES + TASKS
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of design plans and specifications, cost estimates and design details for construction documents.
- Supporting project objectives such as aligning trails and roadways and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Assisting in the creation of project deliverables.
- Contributing to the design or redesign of roadways to follow complete street principles.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Proficiency with AutoCAD
- Proficiency with Synchro/SimTraffic or similar programs
- Passion for active living and non-motorized transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a Civil or Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Working knowledge and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Working knowledge of engineering principles and techniques.
- Exhibits initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- General understanding of MS Excel, Word, Civil 3D, or similar programs.
PREFERRED SKILLS + CERTIFICATIONS
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Proficiency in Civil 3D or similar programs.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
Apply via the link. Upload your cover letter and resume. No phone calls, please.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities in order to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Alta Planning + Design is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.