The Planning & Policy Director is responsible for all policy and research work for LACBC. They will play an important policy and analysis role, helping to develop and write content on LACBC’s policy campaigns. They will have to be able to translate complicated policy-heavy material into easy to understand content suitable for a mass audience. They will also have to be able to produce white papers and other policy pieces to be disseminated to lawmakers and policy partners around the county. They will also build relationships and create new partnerships with other non-profit organizations to further LACBC’s policy presence in the county beyond traditional bicycling spaces.
They must represent the organization with a high level of professionalism, organization, and friendliness. The Planning & Policy Director will supervise the Policy & Outreach Coordinator and future planning and policy department hires. They will serve on the Directors management team. The Planning & Policy Director reports to the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Advanced degree in Urban Planning, Public Policy, Law or equivalent work experience (2-5 years) in the fields of urban planning, environmental policy, environmental justice and/or community development required.
- Self motivated, creative, detail-oriented and energetic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be a public speaker, comfortable presenting in front of large groups.
- Fluency in second language preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice, the bicycle movement, and smart growth. Experience working in low-income communities of color preferred.
- Experience engaging and building relationships with lawmakers, government offices, and other policy organizations. Continue reading