The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) seeks an experienced communications professional to join in promoting an innovative regional transit network. Put your writing skills, media savvy, and outreach skills to work to help build Northern Virginia’s economy and communities by expanding transportation choices, reducing traffic congestion, and improving air quality and energy efficiency.
In this newly designed position, the Communications & Outreach Manager will coordinate all aspects of the agency’s communications and outreach efforts, support Commissioners and senior managers representing the Commission, develop and implement communications and outreach strategies on Commission initiatives, design graphic print or electronic material and manage communications-related contracts. The Communications and Outreach Manager will also support community and stakeholder outreach on key initiatives such as the role of transit in the economic vitality of the region, development of high capacity, high quality transit in Route 7 and other key regional corridors, and public engagement in the work of the Commission.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced storyteller who has worked in a variety of mediums, is a quick study of complex public policy issues, and has a demonstrated interest in transit and expertise in transportation or economic development. NVTC is looking for a creative problem solver who has excellent written and oral communication and skills in developing visually compelling communications materials in print and on the web. This position requires a college degree and at least three years of relevant experience supported with strong references.
- Performing complex writing, editing and communications duties including designing, writing and/or editing e-newsletters, press releases, speeches, video scripts, reports, brochures, news and special feature articles, web-page copy, policy and procedures documents, testimony, and talking points
- Editing Commission meeting materials
- Developing and implements the community and stakeholder outreach strategies in support of the Commission and its partners’ planning, policy, and program initiatives
- Developing web-content for the NVTC website
- Using website and social media tools to promote NVTC programs, to share important news and to support regional collaboration on key strategic initiatives
- Providing communications counsel and strategy and training to other staff and the Management Team as well as media relations support to Commissioners and NVTC
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Administration, Transportation or related field, plus three years of professionally progressive, experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including creation of web-based content
- Experience in the design and production of presentations and other print and electronic material
- Ability to work on a small in-house team and to facilitate team projects outside the agency
- Experience in building a network of traditional and social media contacts
- Additional work experience beyond the minimum three year requirement
- Journalism or media relations skills
- Experience in designing and/or conducting community outreach efforts
- Experience in drafting and editing a range of communications materials including speeches, articles, blogs, web-content, letters to the editor, and opinion pieces, reports, analyses, and recommendations for board action and comments to legislative and regulatory agencies
- Experience with government and public policy
- Experience with graphic design, illustration, and presentation software
- Experience in creating and executing media plans for specific events and issues
How to Apply
The job will remain open until filled. NVTC is an equal opportunity employer. Please provide a complete resume including your salary history and requirements, as well as a letter describing your qualifications and interest in this specific position. Send examples of your work.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NVTC has a small staff located in offices in the vibrant Court House area of Arlington. NVTC is the premiere transit organization in Northern Virginia whose mission is to promote high capacity, high quality transit that serves people and businesses across the region. We are leading experts on transit finance, coordinate regional planning studies and evaluations, and partner with other regional entities including the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission and the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments. NVTC encompasses six cities and counties, Virginia Railway Express (a commuter rail service), Metrorail, the Vanpool Alliance, and six bus systems including MetroBus,
SALARY and BENEFITS
Outstanding benefits are provided (life, health, dental, disability insurance; pension; pre-tax child care and medical cafeteria plan; free parking or parking cash-out; tax-free transit benefit). We provide ZipCar membership as well as access to Capital Bike Share. The competitive salary depends on experience and qualifications.
Work hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Additionally, work hours may vary based on business needs and will include evening and occasional weekend hours.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.